Newbie grinding woes

Blackcatt

Lately I have been ending up with a blade that is not ground evenly....thinner on the middle and usually thicker close to the tang. What am I doing wrong and how is best to correct this?

I scribe a center line on the edge of the blank and just try to keep the edge to a consistent thickness as I go, grinding more wherever is needed to keep the edge centered on the scribed line and at an even thickness for it's full length. I do this by varying the pressure and speed with which I am moving the blade across the belt, more pressure and slower motion where I need more material removed.
If you are starting your grinding passes at the plunge cut and moving toward the tip, there is a tendency for the edge of the belt that is furthest from the plunge to dig in and create a thin spot at this point, just at the beginning of each pass. It is easy to spot because if you are using a 2" belt the thin spot will begin 2" from the plunge cut and will eventually grow until you have the middle of the blade ground thinner than either end.
I use my fingertips to feel for this thin spot/groove and if it starts to form I will start my passes with very light pressure about 1/2" -1" from the plunge cut, move the blade backwards until the edge of the belt reaches the plunge, then increase the pressure and reverse the motion, and finish the pass as normal.

If you are flat grinding as your taper starts to form you are no longer holding the blade parallel to the belt,you start to follow the taper.This will cause your edge to be thicker at the ricasso and thinner toward the tip.A scribed center line will help and keep the line parallel to the belt.
Stan

Sounds to me like your holding the tip and the end of the tang to grind this will make it thinner in the middle. Get a push stick to hold the blade against the belt and keep constant pressure on the part that is touching the belt.

Back