Newby`s 1st 5160 forged and finished Monster Chopper!

Martin Schutte

Hi Guys i`m a newby here at the dawgs and from S.A also still a newby at posting and knifemaking (forging + stock removal) I enjoy it a hell of alot. I feel welcome here and the info is amazing so is all the talent.

This one was forged last year at a SABA hammer-in day
(South African Bladesmith Association) It was my 1st forging attempt and experience and i`m hooked:biggrin:!!

Ok back to the knife it is from 5160, Bolster 416ss,Handle Red Ivory OAL 32cm, blade lenth 21cm, thickness of blade +-5mm,and from cutting edge to spine at widest part +-7cm, Grinded on the slack of the belt. The knife is already at the client it will be used for setting up camp site and camping chores!! Enjoy and any critique will be wellcome.

Greetings Martin Schutte

Attachments

• PIC 03.jpg
    PIC 03.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 40
  • PIC 07.jpg
    PIC 07.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 34
  • PIC 11.jpg
    PIC 11.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 26
  • PIC 14.jpg
    PIC 14.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 21
  • PIC 19.jpg
    PIC 19.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 28
  • My 1st 5160 blade.jpg
    My 1st 5160 blade.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 22
Very nice work, Martin, and your photos are great, too. The knife should work very well around any camp.

Thanks Denny comming from you I feel humbled, the foto`s were hunting inspired by my one friend and he was also the client!!

Grafton thanks for the nice words, the shape were supposed to be a bowie but as a newb I battled with forging so this was the end shape something different but usefull

Regards Martin

Nice work. I hope my first forged blade turns out that nice (I forged it over a year ago and have not yet finished it).

Golok 2 same.jpgSpear completed.jpgHi Murph thank you, comming from you it means alot!! Remember this one waited allmost 15 months before I got to finish it!!
Actually its really my first knife ever, i`ve allready finished 2 galok`s and one spear(for boar hunting)!

Back