Next Level Knifemaking by Jason Fry

Goot

A few days ago, I received "Next Level Knifemaking", edited by Jason Fry, via Amazon. I bought this book because I'm very new to the hobby and I saw it mentioned by the author/editor himself on this very forum. I'm about a quarter of the way through, and I plan to write a full review once I finish in a couple of weeks.

First off -- I can't put it down. While reading, I feel like I'm being guided through a gigantic shop tour with each new chapter being another room, inside which an expert is waiting patiently within, and looking forward to the opportunity of teaching me what he knows. It's an extremely enjoyable experience and fascinating for a new student such as myself. I believe the experience of the contributing authors drips off the page and will fill in all of the gaps leftover from the hodgepodge of internet and youtube tutorials I've read and watched thus far. As for the more knowledgeable readers, I expect they will gain a lot from this book as well, since it appears to be designed with more advanced topics in the later chapters. I'm not there yet, but flipping through the pages and seeing technical graphs and pictures, there's enough in-the-weeds material that should satisfy the experts as well.

The book is well-made with a soft-feel satin cover and thick pages. I read another knifemaking book given to me by my wife for Christmas, and it was thin, the binding was weak, and spelling errors were prevalent. It was almost embarrassing to have it on my table. Next Level Knifemaking is the exact opposite. The publisher and editing team knocked it out of the park. The pictures within are black and white, but with high resolution, and I don't perceive it to be an issue.

The editor's style is friendly and engaging. Jason presents a humorous demeaner where his passion for the art and craftsmanship of "making knives" truly raises it out of the mundane. It's a great read thus far. Because I'm so new to the hobby, I don't have much to compare it to, but so far I would recommend this to everyone. I even might get a copy for my dad, and he's not even making knives. That's a rare thing for me.

Great job, Mr. Fry, and thank you.

That is super cool and crazy, I wasn't even aware it was on Amazon yet! I have yet to see my first copy, although I know it's been sent to print.

You don't even have a copy yet?! The book is great man. Thanks for putting it all together! I'll put a quick review on Amazon.

I see on amazon site the book dimensions are quite small........like 6 by 9 inch......are those dimensions correct.........also in canada the price is $52 .......which seems a little pricey compared to the KNIVES series of books

I see on amazon site the book dimensions are quite small........like 6 by 9 inch......are those dimensions correct.........also in canada the price is $52 .......which seems a little pricey compared to the KNIVES series of books

6 by 9 is correct. Intermediate paperback size. FWIW my other book is 4.5 by 7, a standard small paperback size.

IDK on Canada. My longer term goal is to get Canadian distribution through some of the supply dealers there, but like I said, I don't even have a copy yet.

I got the price from amazon.ca..........shows you they don't work for cheap.......lol

6 by 9 is correct. Intermediate paperback size. FWIW my other book is 4.5 by 7, a standard small paperback size.

IDK on Canada. My longer term goal is to get Canadian distribution through some of the supply dealers there, but like I said, I don't even have a copy yet.
BTW, what's the story with the knife on the front cover? It's a beautiful blade and I like the rustic handle, but my eye keeps looking at the mushed lanyard hole. There's gotta be something intriguing behind the image choice.....or I just might be slightly overanalyzing it, lol!

Not much story on that one. I sent the publisher every pro pic I had, and that's the one he picked. Lanyard hole was tricky on that one, as there were elements of the horn texture that went through the lanyard area. Typically I grind the tube down to match the contour of the horn, but it sure showed up funny looking in that pic.

Hey Jason! Just finished the book. I'll be writing up a full review soon. I really enjoyed it!

@jkf96a Do you have any info on how long the backorder will be with an AMZ order? Thanks. Looking forward to reading it.

@jkf96a Thanks, Jason. I purchased a copy on the 11th. Just so you know, this is what my order status has said since:

"Not yet shipped
We will email you when we have an estimated delivery date."

If this is incorrect, what do you suggest I do? Thx!

We are still having fits with the distributor on this one, and they messed up my personal order, so I am not going to have these at my table at ICCE. It's been a cluster.

Seems like the harder one tries to make everything just so in a project, both Charlie and Fox are impatiently trying to help.

Nice book, physically. Cover feel is pretty darned neat. Brief glance I see mostly familiar names, but some I don't know. Look forward to a good read. I'm at a particular point on a re-start after years away that some inspiration would be most welcome. Good timing, Jason! :)

Back