No knives today but used some

It is a fallow deer and in my opinion one of the best tasting of the deer species. I do hunt a lot of goat here in the mountains but we have fallow, red, sika, whitetail, rusa and wapiti in the deer species along with tahr, chamois, goat, pig, hare and rabbit as 365 day a year hunting oportunities.
Apparently NZ was where the ARK touched down....lol!! Glad you had a good hunt...love any pics or stories you have to share!

Will you get out?? It seems tough that you guys all have such short seasons for your hunting.
Oh yea! I have 30 acres I just put a house on last year so I get to sleep in a nice bed then just head out into the woods.
Florida has 3 different hunting seasons for different sections of the state, my area starts in Oct. thru the middle of Feb., broken up with archery, muzzle loading and modern gun. I do all three, for modern gun I use to use a 7mm short mag. but recently been using an a r in 6.8 SPC. -- I may be trying my M1 Garand this year.

Great wood on that stock. I love shooting my Kevlar glass stock but it sure doesn't look as good as very fine wood.

same here. My favorite rifle is a CZ 557 Varmint in .308 that will shoot the lights out, but the stock looks to have been a fence post in a former life!

Apparently NZ was where the ARK touched down....lol!! Glad you had a good hunt...love any pics or stories you have to share!
There are no native animal species in NZ so everything is introduced and has a pest species designation. There have been eradication programmes in the past as the deer goats hare and rabbits in particular have reached plague numbers at times with hundreds of thousands being killed to get them under controll.

Von Gruff,
Can you tell us a bit more on the calibre and cartridge you currently have on the Lee Enfield? I really am curious about that.

I have recently acquired a 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser on an original '96 Mauser action. The barrel is still in mint condition, but the rifle is not military original anymore. The barrel is shortened to 20 inches and it has a synthetic sporter type stock on it. The rifle shoots very tight groups in140gr bullets.
I am still waiting to acquire a licence, so I have not shot it myself yet.

Von Gruff,
Can you tell us a bit more on the calibre and cartridge you currently have on the Lee Enfield? I really am curious about that.

I have recently acquired a 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser on an original '96 Mauser action. The barrel is still in mint condition, but the rifle is not military original anymore. The barrel is shortened to 20 inches and it has a synthetic sporter type stock on it. The rifle shoots very tight groups in140gr bullets.
I own several rifles in 6.5mm or .264 cal. They’re all extremely accurate and a joy to shoot, minimal recoil. My first rifle was a ‘94 Swedish Mauser. It’s a little carbine

Von Gruff,

It seems there is enough interest to do a little more than show a picture of each rifle so I will look at showing a bit of the build as well and seeing as Johan has asked about my 400 I will make a start with that one.

I own several rifles in 6.5mm or .264 cal. They’re all extremely accurate and a joy to shoot, minimal recoil. My first rifle was a ‘94 Swedish Mauser. It’s a little carbine
I bguilt my own wildcat 6.5 Grendel - Max where I moved the shoulder of the standard Grendel forward by .05 and loaded long to 2.405 so that I gained over 200fps on the standard Grendel in the 21in barrel on the little mini mauser. I lengthened the magazine to 2.470 so my cartridge with the 123gn SSt runs at 2700fps and is incredibly accurate with .3moa at 200 yds in testing. Have take a great many goats with this one.

Is there a way to upload pics straight to the forum as it alwas says mine are too large and it will take me forever to upload tham all to my imgur albums and download tham again on to the forum. Is there some way to resize them during the attach files process as not only are there at lot of rifles to document bet there are a lot of pictures to show some of how the little custom touches were done.
These are a few of the finished pics I have already uploaded
404 Jeffery for myself
niPj42ul.jpg

6.5x57
kp2Yzogl.jpg

6.5 Grendel-Max
lSfHbYMl.png

7x57
Kg31yJ3l.jpg

Y0rBTmGl.jpg

iyfSdzIl.png

375-303
3ADk9mYl.png

What an array of classics! Those Martini actions speaks to me. Are they still in shooting condition?
Yes very much so Johan. The two 303 martini enfield actions with one being in the military configuration (for myself) and the other in the sporter for a friend were built for hunting. The little 22 Garron is used by a professional pest shooter and can often fire 100's of rounds a week. The 577-450 I built for a fun play and it has a nOS barrel that shoots very accurately indeed. I made aperture sights for both of the ones I built for myself taht attached but replacing the two action screws with slightly longer bolts so they can be returned to orgiinal if needed but it did make them very accurate and the 303 model killed a deer at 160yds

That 6.5 with the Claro stock....I have almost that exact stock blank...I also know that photos never do that wood justice....the colors and highlights are absolutely stunning....I know what your gun looks like in real life...lol! Nice job on ALL!!!

Von, (do you prefer Von or Gruff) is this one a rolling block action!! Love the grain in this stock!!

You have got a great collection of rifles. I like all of them for different reasons, kind of like my kids. I love all of them sometimes for different reasons, depending if I am getting attitude, or just want to hang a here's your sign!!!! LOL

Von, (do you prefer Von or Gruff) is this one a rolling block action!! Love the grain in this stock!!
[/QUOTE

If given the preference then Gruff suits me just fine and thanks for asking.
The little rifle is not a rollong block, it is a martini cadet. This is one of the rifles I did for a friend and the brief was to try and retain the original military look so I changed the angle of the buttstock to the wrist just enough when added to a 1/4 inch raise to the comb nose made it suitable for the scope use without having to have the horrbily high comb that is often the result of this conversion being done.

Last edited:
I take it that many of you are familiar with the handirifle. This one was in 50 S&W and came to me for a bit of work to reshape so it was more comfortable to use. The are made like a thick plank with no finese whatsoever and while it will never be in the relms of the fine custom stocks, then at least it could be made more user friendly.
The first thing to do is plot the cut lines
4T8C19Hl.jpg

And go to the bandsaw
ceNVBXCl.jpg

Mark in the new lines
v4KiX80l.jpg

And translate that into the new shape
vqJLZ0gl.jpg

The slim the forestock down to a more managable hand size
LJ1MECSl.jpg

after this it was oil finished and returned to it place of play with much better usability and while it was reduced in weight, the new more easily held shape actually reduced the felt recoil

Back