No Weld Grinder questions

Let me add:
Just because you see water vapor rising/evaporating off of the wheel, doesn't necessarily mean they are getting up to 200+ degrees. It also depends on the temperature of your shop, the temperature of the water and/or the relative humidity.

Kind of like when you see steam rising off of a lake. It's not that the lake is boiling (in fact, it's probably very cold), but the air around the water is condensing, giving an appearance of steam.

Now, if you're shop is relatively warm and dry, then you may have a problem.

Then again, if you can hold your fingers against the wheels and bearings, then you're likely fine.

Ah... that's definitely too hot.

Could be that you need a slightly wider spacer inbetween the bearings. Sounds like they might be binding.

I think he's referring to the spacers between the bearings- this spacer fits inside the wheel to prevent those bushing you are referring to from pressing the bearings to the wheel too much. To check, back off the axle nut a tad to see if it runs cooler.

Ken

I would but then it creates tracking issues it seems like... Because the wheel is then so loose that you can grab it and wiggle it back and forth when a belt isn't on it...

interesting you can't find a spot where the wheel is loose enough to turn freely without heating up, and the wheel still track - this is a platen wheel? I can usually loosen the axle nut on either of my platen wheels a good bit, maybe even remove the nut and still run the grinder a bit without an issue. Tracking is usually a function of the tracking wheel rather than the platen wheel.

I can't suggest an answer now<:(

Ken

interesting you can't find a spot where the wheel is loose enough to turn freely without heating up, and the wheel still track - this is a platen wheel? I can usually loosen the axle nut on either of my platen wheels a good bit, maybe even remove the nut and still run the grinder a bit without an issue. Tracking is usually a function of the tracking wheel rather than the platen wheel.

I can't suggest an answer now<:(

Ken

Hmmm... I'll have to play around with it more... I'll try to keep you posted.

I think he's referring to the spacers between the bearings- this spacer fits inside the wheel to prevent those bushing you are referring to from pressing the bearings to the wheel too much. To check, back off the axle nut a tad to see if it runs cooler.

Ken

That's the one. I can't remember if its a single bushing that runs all the way through, or two seperate bushings for the inside of each wheel?
If you have a set of calipers you could see what kind of tolerances you're dealing with. You MIGHT try putting another thin bushing on BOTH sides of each bearing (inside and outside of wheel), like the one you have (I believe) in between the wheel and nut. This may cause your bearings to sit a little proud of the outer wheel face, but I believe you'll be ok as long as they're only contacting the inner race. This will at least rule out any compression of the bearings.

There could also be a chance that your bearings are shot, and you just need to replace them. Does it look like the seals have been compromised, or have you seen any oil seeping out?

Do the bearings seem like they both turn freeling with the wheel off?

Last edited:
Back