Noisy compressor

izafireman

I am pretty sure someone on here will have a noisy compressor and will have fixed it.

I am thinking of using a 24 mm hose of a meter in length which will go through the wall of the work shop to my smaller shed.
The hose will then be connected to a muffler box which will have another hose going from the other end of the box into a cheap compressor muffler filter, that will be in a wooden box with foam pyramids for further sound absorbsion, the box will have lot of air vents to prevent over heating.
I don't want to build a box around the compressor due to heat reasons, a few horror stories of those things going pop.

Anyone any other ideas on how I can reduce the noice?

Cheers

Years ago for camping I built a large box out of pink foam with duct tape joints so it could fold. Two holes with a PC fan in and one out. Was as quiet as a honda. I still have that noisey lil generac at my cabin...lost my foam box somewhere.

Years ago for camping I built a large box out of pink foam with duct tape joints so it could fold. Two holes with a PC fan in and one out. Was as quiet as a honda. I still have that noisey lil generac at my cabin...lost my foam box somewhere.

Many thanks for the reply.

I looked at the boxing method but the only issue being if the fan fails and everything starts to heat up it might not be so good?

But I have learnt that simple using a reinforced hose to take the compressor inlet too the outside or in my case to an outhouse will cut the noise down.
My plan is to do this and also have a cheap car conical air filter on the hose end. This will be placed inside a plastic 4 inch pipe with one end sealed where the hose goes in. The plastic pipe will be lined with noise absorbing foam sheet , the pointy tip type foam that break up sound waves.

So there will be the compressor inlet with a filter in a sound absorbing pipe, fixed to the wall with the pipe pointing towards the floor where another sheet of the foam will be underneath to catch the escaping sound waves. This should will allow the large volume of air needed by the compressor but should cut the noise down considerably. I might even line the outhouse walls with an acoustic sheet also as I am doing this project order my neighbours aren't disturbed.

I might take some images of the build and post if its a success, it cant be any worse than it is at present ….that's for sure.....oh and all the parts are cheap on Ebay

In my shop I have the compressor in the basement. Can only faintly hear it...no enclosure and stays cool. Just have to remember to purge the water occasionally.

I think your idea is sound. I would definitely try a bit of sound proofing in the shed.

In my shop I have the compressor in the basement. Can only faintly hear it...no enclosure and stays cool. Just have to remember to purge the water occasionally.

I think your idea is sound. I would definitely try a bit of sound proofing in the shed.

Well as I found out yesterday the noise comes mainly from the intake as when I took the cheap filter/muffler off it was hardly making a noise in comparison. I think the only issue with the hose will be to keep it as short as possible due to losses in the air that the compressor needs. But I would imagine if that was sorted then making the plastic pipe that would be surrounding it as long as practically possible there should be a huge loss of noise. As I say the best part is its really cheap, I have even thought of maybe including a cheap moped muffler in the system as they are dirt cheap so if it doesn't work its no loss really.

Yes purging water is what I need to do more as although a new compressor I would dread the thought of one going boooom if it was damaged by rust, cant get much safer than you basement though, wish I had one.

I think you'll just have to keep experimenting to find what works, or is at least acceptable to you.
years ago I connected a brand new take off muffler from a GM truck to a 5000 watt generator and couldn't believe the results, you could stand next to it and talk at a normal level. on the other hand...I did the same thing to an 8000 watt Honda generator and while it toned it down a little it was still REALLY loud. but I believe most of the noise in that case was internal components of the engine.

The one thing I never tried but heard may work is have the exhaust piped to and submerged in a baby pool filled with water with a sheet of plywood placed on top.
It will be interesting to see what you come up with.

Back