Not funny to me April fools

Was not impressed with Combats pricing or quality. I've never bought from them but a friend of mine got one of their "Starter" boxes. We were grinding some stuff at his place and the couple belts I used had a considerable amount of belt bump and 1 of them was tracking horrible (constantly had to readjust tracking). Finally asked him if he had changed anything and thats when he told me about the new belts. He looked at me grinned and said "Good I thought it was me".

I see a lot of "instagram" makers using and advertising for Combat Abrasives. When I looked at what they cost, I can only assume that the majority of the makers running ads for them are getting some kind of discount, or maybe they're just not as attached to their money as I am. Based on the handful of reviews I've read here and elsewhere, they're charging premium prices for a mediocre product.

I recently heard a pretty good interview with Phoenix Abrasives on The Knife Perspective podcast that makes me curious to try some of their belts. That said, TruGrit has always been a great place to deal with too.

I tried Combat Abrasives a few years back. I liked their 120 ceramic belts but none of the other grits seemed to perform like the 120s for some reason. Then they started pushing these weird “bundles” and it was all just a convoluted mess as far as I was concerned. TruGrit has always been good to me and the one time they didn’t have what I ordered they called me on the phone and asked if they could substitute to get the order out, or would I rather drop the item. No partial order sitting on hold because of a line item. That’s service.

I order from Pops but I have to pay tax because I am in Georgia. So for some things I use T-Grit. When the original Pops still had the business he was 20 minutes from my office so I used to order online and go to his shop to pick the order up. Saved on shipping, plus Pop was just a hoot to talk too. Think old curmudgeon but really good guy. I miss visiting with him.

I see a lot of "instagram" makers using and advertising for Combat Abrasives. When I looked at what they cost, I can only assume that the majority of the makers running ads for them are getting some kind of discount, or maybe they're just not as attached to their money as I am. Based on the handful of reviews I've read here and elsewhere, they're charging premium prices for a mediocre product.

I recently heard a pretty good interview with Phoenix Abrasives on The Knife Perspective podcast that makes me curious to try some of their belts. That said, TruGrit has always been a great place to deal with too.
I've been using Phoenix for years and am very happy. Sean Ryan and Greg Magnusson are great guys to deal with.

I was going to order from Combat when they first opened up. They had 60 grit belts for $1 each. Had a couple hundred belts in my cart when I happened to talk with a friend that had ordered 3 weeks prior and his order still had not shipped. I never placed my order.

I think less of a company that uses paid endorsers, especially when I see the endorser switch brands every 6 months.

I ordered through Combat before because I could get 2x36 J Flex belts for my frankengrinder I was using. Now that I have the 2x72 up and running, Tru Grit usually gets my belt orders! I may fill in some here and there when I am buying handle material from other places, but the bulk of my belts come from Tru Grit.

Back