Number 8 (#8) Round Punch?

theWeatherman

So I am looking for a round punch that will let me punch the holes in my retention straps of my sheaths for my studs. I think I need a number 8 but I am not sure. I get my studs from Tandy. But when I look for the punch I can only find the #7 and then it jumps to a #9. I think I need a 7/32" which is a #8 at Springfield leather. Is that what will work with the tandy studs?

I ask because I don't want to buy a punch and have to pay for return shipping, etc. And the Tandy isn't close to my house (Hour away one direction)

Brian

I've often wondered why more leather workers don't make more of special tools they need. By special I mean the ones that don't see a huge amount of use.
Most of the guys on this site could make tools better than the production tools for sale out there. I made a swivel knife with minimum tools in a war zone in the gulf of tonkin when I couldn't buy one.
It's still in use on my brothers saddle bench today. It's not pretty but works better than most production knives.
Punches would be fun to try.

If it was something that I wanted to make I probably would make it, like a round knife. But I don't want to make a punch

Thanks Paul. From what I can tell the round punch from Springfield is a #7 - 7/32" and the Osborne #8 = 7/32"

Full 7/32" actual hole is what you want regardless of whether it is called an 8 or 7 by the individual mfg company.

Paul

Thanks Paul! I was drilling the holes and wasn't getting the nice crisp holes, as you would guess and I had a hard time to getting it sized so I tried measuring a hand full of time and got ~7/32"

Back