NWGS Troubleshooting - need help

C

CShepherd

So I got the last pieces of my NWGS build together tonight. The motor is still not mounted as I was wanting to make sure that I had the drive wheel lined up with the rest of the wheels before I set the motor position.

I have followed the plans but have a problem. When I fired it up the belt wobbles back and forth, side to side approximately 1/8". It appears that the drive shaft or at least something in that setup is wobbling.

The drive shaft was purchased from Tracy along with the 3-step pulleys. The drive wheel came directly from Sunray. I may try mounting the drive wheel directly onto the motor to make sure that it is balanced.

The bolts holding down the pillow blocks are tight and I squared everything up as close as I could. I checked the motor and pulley and it runs very smoothly.

Any suggestions as to what I should check next?

Thanks,

Charlie

Forgot to mention that I ran it without a belt and the drive shaft still vibrates.

Went back and ran both pullies and the drive wheel directly on the motor and they all 3 run very smoothly so I'm thinking the problem must be either in the drive shaft or in the pillow block bearings.

I may be misunderstanding but how did you run it with the motor not mounted ? I have a nwg and love it , It take a while to go get everything lined up and I have several attachements 8 inch wheel ,6 inch wheel, small wheel attachement, flat platen, They all work great. Back to the problem its' possible the shaft is bent I havent noticed mine ever wobbling guess I would just have to see it

Hey Charlie,

Make sure the line is good for your pillow block bearings. Check the mounting surfaces for the bearings with a level. If they are badly up and down to each other or out of square to each other and the idler and grinding wheels could cause it.

make sure the drive shaft is straight. roll it on a flat surface. I've heard of a couple builders that changed a drive shaft and all the vibrations went away. It doesn't take much of a warp for it to vibrate.

You will want to mount the motor and run it before you get too buggy trying things.

The 2"x72" has to be under more pressure than most realize. You won't hurt the belt. Make it tight.

It will work out. Every build has a quirk to work out. It's just how it is with so many variables. Hang in there. It will work.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to check the pillow blocks and the drive shaft and we'll go from there.

I'll report back tonight after I try a few things. I do have to exchange the spring I bought. It's not near tight enough. I wound up adding a doubled up bungee cord and that seemed to give enough tension.

I may be misunderstanding but how did you run it with the motor not mounted ? I have a nwg and love it , It take a while to go get everything lined up and I have several attachements 8 inch wheel ,6 inch wheel, small wheel attachement, flat platen, They all work great. Back to the problem its' possible the shaft is bent I havent noticed mine ever wobbling guess I would just have to see it

I didn't want to mount the motor to the board and then have it out of square with the drive shaft so I basically held it in place.

I'm excited to get this running, bit frustrated because I wanted to make sparks last night but figured there would be a bit of tweeking to get it running greatly.

make sure the drive shaft is straight. roll it on a flat surface. I've heard of a couple builders that changed a drive shaft and all the vibrations went away. It doesn't take much of a warp for it to vibrate.

You will want to mount the motor and run it before you get too buggy trying things.

The 2"x72" has to be under more pressure than most realize. You won't hurt the belt. Make it tight.

It will work out. Every build has a quirk to work out. It's just how it is with so many variables. Hang in there. It will work.

I took the drive shaft off and I do believe that may be the problem. It has a bit of a "click, click" to it when I rolled it across my desk.

I'm thinking about ordering the Beaumont one from you just to eliminate any other problems.

To further try to troubleshoot it this morning I ran the setup without any belts attached and the drive shaft still wobbled.

The other thing I did was take a second look at the pillowblock setup. They seemed to be squared up. The drive shaft slides easily in and out of both them. To double check it I loosened the bolts that hold the blocks down, put the drife shaft in, tightened the set screws and spun the drive shaft. It seemed to turn easily so that to me meant that the bearings in the pillow blocks were aligned. I then squared up the blocks and tightened them back down. Still get the same vibration. Basically I'm trying to eliminate everything else. Keeps bringing me back to the drive shaft.

Charlie

i'm betting it is the drive shaft. the Beaumont one is machined and runs perfectly. that rod isn't always the straightest. I'll refund it or credit it, your choice.

Back