Official KnifeDogs 2013 KITH PICTURE thread!

2013 KITH entry

Please excuse the horrible pictures - I'll never be a photographer. This year I have a 7.75" hunter in O1 and maple. As always, Thank you Mark for the time and effort you put into this KITH.

kith 1.jpgkith 2.jpg

Dick

It's my pleasure, Dick! I hope everyone is having fun with this. The real thanks should go to the members of KnifeDogs that participate in events like this. The amount of time and effort any maker puts in to a project, only to hand it off to "the next guy" says a lot about the knifemaking community.

Here's what somebody gets to play with.... Jericoh Blade Works SEER Elmax Mk V

null_zps01014f2d.jpg

null_zps76125fcf.jpg

null_zpsaa48593e.jpg

*forgot to add the specs. 10" overall, .236" thick Elmax stainless steel, black/OD G10, filework.

Last edited:
Well I finished up my sheath today and got a few pictures taken. This thing has fought me tooth and nail from the get go...bled me twice too! Be glad to send it on to it's new owner!

Grizzly Skinner
1095 w/ Cryo temper
OAL- 7 5/8"
Blade- 3"
Thickness- 5/32"

Blade has several layers of forced patina using vinegar and mustard.
1/4" mosaic pins and brass tube.
Sharpened to 25* each side.

Handle is some very nice maple burl I received in the "beginning knifemaker pack" from Mark @ BurlSource. I dyed the maple black with leather dye then sanded it back to reveal highlights. Did a superglue finish which was my first attempt at that, I'll be purchasing stabilized from now on...too much trouble LOL! Finished it off as a soft satin.

Sheath is made by me, 8/9oz veg tan. Dyed black and finished using my own blend of wax and oil. Pebble accent stamping. Hand stitched. Belt loop is horse hide and cantered a bit to bring the knife forward vs straight up and down.

DSCF2295 (640x350).jpgDSCF2296 (640x467).jpgDSCF2294 (640x323).jpgMine is 8 1/4" oal 3 1/2" blade Swayback Wharncliff blade ats34 buckeye burl with a loveless bolt and a mosaic lanyard tube, sorry for the horrible pics I'm not a picture taker.
Anthony

Well, here is what I came up with. This is a dressed up version of a model of mine I call the DUK. This is usually a "three piece" knife with a hollow grind and synthetic scales. Most of them have a blasted finish as well. This on is flat ground from CPM D2 at about .140". It has Ironwood scales and stainless hardware. The bolsters are dovetailed. Overall length is about 9.5". The sheath came out a lot darker than I expected. I think the paste dye I was using separated out a bit, and was dark at the top of the jar. My regular camera seems to have taken it's last gasp, so I apologize for the phone pics.

kith1a.jpg

kith2.jpg

Attachments

• kith1a.jpg
    kith1a.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 8
  • kith2.jpg
    kith2.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 6
Thanks, Ted! I'm looking forward to it as well. This thing fought me tooth and nail, and after dropping it on my filthy shop floor last night, I've spent a good many hours trying to clean that up. Honestly, i wish I had another week...

That's a beautiful knife Mark! Love the profile and that sheath. They just look like they were meant for each other!

Thanks, Don! ...They were :) (well... the sheath was) The sheath is a little snug, but it will break in fine.

Last edited:
Great looking set Mark! I've been making my sheaths a bit tighter lately, was given that advice by another member. He said make sure they're tight, almost too tight...because you want that sheath to still have good retention years down the road. Makes sense...but I sometimes second guess myself and wind up adding a little wedge because I think it's going to be way too tight lol. You'd be surprised at just how much leather can stretch when wet forming!

Anyway...

GET THOSE PICTURES POSTED GUYS!

How many people are confirmed in so far?

Thanks! The tool is just some pin stock with a blunt cone shape ground at the tip. Then I tap it a few hundred times with an 8 oz. hammer. I'm sure there are less labor intensive ways of doing it, but this method has served me well. As far as the count goes, we are at 14 right now... hopefully a few more will get wrapped up soon!

Hi,
View attachment 41703
Here is mine. A paring/utility knife. 8 1/4" length. The 4" x 3/4" blade is Sheffield O-1 from FM Parkin. The handle is koa from Kauai. The board is maple and oak from North Carolina and koa from Kauai and is included.
Scott

Last edited:
Back