Official Summer 2013 KnifeDogs Knife in the Hat Thread

Scott,
I'm glad you enjoyed it... these really are a lot of fun! I think we'll announce next years in early 2014. Of course, there isn't anything stopping anyone from organizing another one. I know some of the other sub-forums here have had some recently. As a part time maker, I personally feel I can only swing about one KITH a year and give it the attention it deserves while still filling my regular orders and balancing my non-knife life...

-Mark

Hi Guys,

Got the knife from Ted and have been waiting for a sunny day to shoot some pics, but apparently the sun ain't never coming out in Georgia again.

null_zps659d9b70.jpg

Talk about a thing of beauty, Ted did a freakin' awesome job on this knife. The handle seems like it was made for my hand.

null_zps139e968a.jpg

The satin job has just enough shine to it but not enough to be mirror polished pimpy, which I appreciate.

null_zps1961b265.jpg

The sheath is a thing of beauty.

null_zps79cd8726.jpg

I've only been able to use it for making some fuzz sticks, tent stakes and one trap since the rain keeps running me back inside, but it cuts beautifully. That fine tip makes making notches and fuzz a breeze. Usually I like my knives a bit thicker, but this one is a down right pleasure to carry carry around.

Thanks Ted, excellent job man.

Glad you like it Jasun! Great pics, BTW! I had a lot of fun making it. The inlay in the sheath is beaver tail, BTW.

On the same note, I got my knife from James yesterday. I haven't had time to take pics, and I'm traveling for work, so I'll probably only get to it over the weekend. Thanks again, James! Great knife that'll (hopefully) see some action in the upcoming deer season!

I received my knife from grizzly 2 days ago. I need to post a picture of it but the knife is really nice. I love the forced patina and that sheath work is awesome! I need to get a "how to" on staining the handle and sanding back for highlights because that handle is amazing. My fiance loves it and made quick work with half a dozen boxes from cabinets we were replacing this weekend. Great work across the board GrizzlyKnives. Thank you.
Derek.

Glad you received it ok Derek! I had sent it with my fiance' to ship, then she forgot so it didn't get mailed when I said it would. Then when I asked about the tracking number on the receipt she said "oh, I threw it away"...lol women. :)

Anyway, I just cut the handle slabs to shape, then put several coats of black Fiebing's Pro Oil dye on them. Then I started shaping, once done I hit them with another coat or 2 of dye, then did my final finish sanding which brought out the grain highlights. I don't know how it works, but I have a thread on a guitar building forum where I guy does that on his guitars. The finish is CA glue first with several doses of thin to soak in, then final coats with med-thick. I got it all the way finished and when I went to hand polish it, I burned through the finish in a couple small spots but didn't have time to completely redo the coating and sanding again. Doing the CA finish was interesting, but in the future, I would rather have just used stabilized wood if available. Lots of time doing layers of glue, sanding, glue, sanding, etc etc.

A package from Denmark arrived today, and the entire family instantly surrounded me to behold the beauty from NPD! A wonderful piece of work, there were many oohs and aahs beginning with the leather sheath, the handle, and the blade. A quick picture, and my sincere thanks for the hard work, Nektarios! Truly a treasure!

IMG_3331.jpg

-- Lee

A package from Denmark arrived today, and the entire family instantly surrounded me to behold the beauty from NPD! A wonderful piece of work, there were many oohs and aahs beginning with the leather sheath, the handle, and the blade. A quick picture, and my sincere thanks for the hard work, Nektarios! Truly a treasure!

View attachment 42387

-- Lee

Thanks allot for the kind words about my Work Lee , and i'm glad that you like it.

Back