Official Summer 2013 KnifeDogs Knife in the Hat Thread

dswait - Looks good. Could you post that again in the picture thread? It will keep things simpler when I do the final count of completed knives.

Thanks!

tuskbuster....

dang!

it happens so fast it's amazing isn't it?

we are having a hammer in this weekend and we have 20 guys wondering around the shop using all the tools with way different levels of experience. I worry about the buffer the most. I have put together a copy of your post with your pictures to hand out to each person with the liability release...Even the most experienced guy can use the reminder. I hope you heal up soon...
t

was back in tthe shop tonite Boss,cant keep a hard headed man down.ever once in a while i look to the left and see my foe on the back bench waitin to get at me again but hes gonna have to work realy hard next time cause im bringin backup.a knife vise.

Glad you're up and moving, tuskbuster! Man, that looked fairly innocent before the docs got to you... Glad it wasn't more serious. Definitely the most dangerous tool in my shop.

Sorry, I'm late to the party. Heart attacks take up a lot of time.

Is it too late to play? I have a knife that I finished up right before.

ccbde37ec8847cd2c5a24abee52d2119_zps7ea60f4a.jpg

b011dae39d521cce52d1be5cb7ff35cb_zpsc57247d2.jpg

I'll take better photos for the pic thread. Ipad cameras leave a good deal to be desired.

Made from Boss's .236" thick Elmax, 10" overall with a 5" blade, a little filework, Black/OD G10

Hi Jericoh,
It's not too late... I'll get you on the list. I read your other thread, and I'm glad you are on the mend. Sounds like you have a pretty good medical crew taking care of you.

Guys,
Please take me off the list.
I made two knives that I managed to break in two. One when I was hand sanding, the other when I was trying to straighten the blade. In both, I had drilled holes to lighten the hilt area and in the first one I had cut material away between the holes.(I won't do that again!!:(
My third knife was coming along well until glued the scales and black ash handle on. As I started to form the handle I found a bad area and could not use it. I had to cut off that handle and ground away the rest to bare steel. (PS I had sandblasted the hilt area, epoxy bond was out of this world, will do it again) I started to make new scales out of bocote.
Then my back went out of place and I have not been able to work in my shop for very long because of the pain.
I really wanted to get one finished for this! Next year or next time you organize this, I will be in.
Thanks to all,
Fred

No worries, Fred. Take care of your back! We got off to a late start this year. Next year we'll probably announce in late January or early February with a target deadline of mid-July. This actually started as a "Christmas in July" sort of thing, so we'll try to get it back on track..

I hate it but I'm out too. I over did the slot for the tang and it shows after shaping the ferrule and I don't have enough time to get another handle on it.

Ok guys, crunch time! About 5 1/2 hours to go. I've been trying to maintain the list at the beginning of the thread as changes come in. I just went through it again, and I believe everything is accurate at this point. If I have overlooked something, please let me know. The evening Illinois "pick 3" drawing will be at 9:22 pm CST.

Well, I guess that's it. We ended up with 15 out of the initial 29 participants. Thanks to everyone that participated this year. For those that couldn't make it this time, keep an eye open in this forum after the first of the year. I hope you all had fun. (Tuskbuster - I know you didn't, but get yourself all healed up for next year :thumbup1: ) I will organize the list later this evening.

I was thinking, since there is a possibility that the numbers from tonights drawing might equal 15 (we'd all get our own knife) that, should that happen, we would just use the greater of the first two numbers. Does than make sense, or are there any objections? Hopefully that won't be the case, but I assumed there would be a higher rate of participation when this was set up.

Works for me. Thanks for all your efforts to push this along this year, Mark!

Just a side note - I am traveling for work this week, so might only be able to get my knife sent out early next week, unless I can convince the wife to package it up and send it...

Ok guys, crunch time! About 5 1/2 hours to go. I've been trying to maintain the list at the beginning of the thread as changes come in. I just went through it again, and I believe everything is accurate at this point. If I have overlooked something, please let me know. The evening Illinois "pick 3" drawing will be at 9:22 pm CST.
so I guess I was the last to post? was fun, hope to do it again next time.
Scott

Just waiting for the numbers to get posted on illinoislottery.com... checking wgntv.com also (they do the drawing). I've got the spreadsheet ready.

Back