old age

KenH

Folks, there are pros 'n cons to getting old... I don't mean just "older", but OLD!! I'm almost 77 these days and while I do fully enjoy my retirement, there are couple things that come up to bite me more often than ever before. Like walking into a room, then can't remember why I'm in the room.

Thin skin is a big issue - I've always worked with my hands and had calluses a plenty. Never wore gloves for much of anything working. These days my skin is so thin it seems like I pick up every little sliver of steel in the area. That requires me to get a magnifying glass since my eyes are not what they used to be.

Old age isn't for sissies for sure.

OK, rant mode OFF. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.

Ken H>

At 70, I'd lost 200 pounds, worked myself back into shape, and thought I was going to make knives again.

So I thought. And here at 72, life had other plans. You just never know.

I wish all here a Merry Christmas and a Happy 2024. Take care of you and yours. Life is precious.

I'll be 64 in February and I'm feeling the effects of age. My eyes are shot, and I also have the walking into a room illness...hell I don't even make it to the room. I stand up and take a few steps and completely forget why I stood up in the first place. Or I'll get completely sidetracked and start doing something else. Then I suddenly realize that what I'm doing is not what I had gotten up to do!

Happy Holidays to all!

Getting older is a blessing. Feeling old sucks.

Wrenched my back a few weeks ago scooping an inch of snow off my driveway. An inch! Crap.

Trip to the ER. All drugged up. I will admit, my body likes morphine. Just found out my L5-S1 disc has around 10 percent of it remaining. I have destroyed 90 percent of that disc. I am getting around better. Still a bit gimpy and pain sucks. Good side is that I ain’t dead, yet.

Aging is not for the weak. Stay strong my friends.

dang I've occasionally wondered if I was the only "old" guy makin' knives - 72 still in pretty good shape ( except for bilateral hernia surgery couple months ago) and the thin skin thing - maybe we oughta re-name this forum ? LOL

Getting older is a blessing. Feeling old sucks.

Wrenched my back a few weeks ago scooping an inch of snow off my driveway. An inch! Crap.

Trip to the ER. All drugged up. I will admit, my body likes morphine. Just found out my L5-S1 disc has around 10 percent of it remaining. I have destroyed 90 percent of that disc. I am getting around better. Still a bit gimpy and pain sucks. Good side is that I ain’t dead, yet.

Aging is not for the weak. Stay strong my friends.
My L5 is pretty much gone also. I go to a pain and spine clinic that gives me corti-steroid injections and once a year they do a nerve ablation. Works like a charm...sorta.

You know I am going to get in on this thread because at 51 YOA I am the baby in the crowd and that does not often happen. I am worried about my 70's though because in my 50's I have two degenerated discs and arthritis in my shoulders, back, and hands (Thank you psoriasis and years of contact sports/work). I hope I see 70 my friends.

Just turned 65. I don't recover/heal as fast as I used to. After 25+ years of working in maintenance I am still doing pretty good. The thin skin sucks. Fortunately, no other serious ailments as yet. It is better than the alternative. Grind on y'all.

You know I am going to get in on this thread because at 51 YOA I am the baby in the crowd and that does not often happen. I am worried about my 70's though because in my 50's I have two degenerated discs and arthritis in my shoulders, back, and hands (Thank you psoriasis and years of contact sports/work). I hope I see 70 my friends.
Chris, you are treating that psoriasis aren't you? When you have arthritis and psoriasis both, you most likely have psoriatic arthritis that gives you a 3X more likely to die from cardiactic issues. OR, that's what my cardiologist said from his reading. Once he found that, he got me on treatment for psoriasis. Since then I've been free of psoriasis symptoms for the first time in 50 yrs. No more scaling 'n itching.

Psoriatic arthritis has run my life for the last 30 years. Stuff can be real, real nasty and ornery. Everywhere they x-ray my joints, they find very little cartilage. I had knee and shoulder x-rays this past year. Made two doctors cringe as there's nothing there but bone and ground down bone! Creepy. I was actually going to get the first knee replacement come Spring but looks like I now have other issues more pressing.

Good luck, Ken and anyone here with this affliction!

Oh, and BTW, those stretchy "gardening arms" you see on Instagram and Amazon, for covering your forearms while you work? They don't stop the thin skin from tearing.

Last edited:
Be 70 this Feb. and been playing hell w/old age since 65. Had a knee replacement then which developed a serious infection about a year ago that was almost fatal and they had to remove my knee and now I don't have one and they won't give me another until I loose 80 lbs., which is almost impossible as I can't walk to exercise and a 1500 calorie a day diet ain't doing it. I'm also in pain 24/7 and take narcotics to TRY to bear the pain. Since 65 I have developed heart disease, atreial fibrillation which makes me highly susceptible to stroke, high BP, thyroid problems, osteoarthritis, cataracts, degenerative spine disease, and a small host of other problems (but skin is still tough as hide). Not complaining just stating facts. GETTING OLD SUCKS whether your tough or not. The alternative is always there for you to choose should you desire but my religion prevents me from pursuing this option (I'd still rather be alive than dead) but now it seems like I'm just waiting around to die. And to think in my 20's I didn't think I'd live past 30.

Be 70 this Feb. and been playing hell w/old age since 65. Had a knee replacement then which developed a serious infection about a year ago that was almost fatal and they had to remove my knee and now I don't have one and they won't give me another until I loose 80 lbs., which is almost impossible as I can't walk to exercise and a 1500 calorie a day diet ain't doing it. I'm also in pain 24/7 and take narcotics to TRY to bear the pain. Since 65 I have developed heart disease, atreial fibrillation which makes me highly susceptible to stroke, high BP, thyroid problems, osteoarthritis, cataracts, degenerative spine disease, and a small host of other problems (but skin is still tough as hide). Not complaining just stating facts. GETTING OLD SUCKS whether your tough or not. The alternative is always there for you to choose should you desire but my religion prevents me from pursuing this option (I'd still rather be alive than dead) but now it seems like I'm just waiting around to die. And to think in my 20's I didn't think I'd live past 30.

One day at a time, one foot in front of the other, appreciate that today might not be as bad as yesterday, eh? Your list could almost be my list. I understand so well, and wish you the very best with the damnable pain and constant assault on the spirit.

If you have spine pain, and haven't tried it, a hi-powered TENS unit with interferential mode has been a lifesaver for both my constant spine pain and my wife's scoliosis-twisted mess of a spine. If I didn't have this little electric box I'd have optioned out years ago.

I sincerely wish you the very best. Good luck.

Last edited:
Well, I still think that it's better to have birthdays rather than not but this has not been a good year. Cataracts removed in both eyes and my prostate operated on to let me pee. Still things could be worse. I occasionally use a cane but not a wheelchair so things could definitely be worse.

Doug

Back