One that didn't make it to Blade...

Jericoh

... and almost didn't get finished at all. It's CPM D2 and it took so long to finish grind and ate through so many belts that I stabbed it into the workbench as a reminder to never work with this stuff again. Then after talking to Walter Brend at Blade about how much he liked the stuff I was inspired to pull it out and finish it up.

fea49e80a1bdf16cdc96ad1adf96c6d3_zps01d335ed.jpg

4" blade, CAMO G10, compound chisel grind, satin finish, heat treated, cryo'd and triple tempered to 58RC.

07d37cf8fc9406117a2b520ad2d29d13_zps79404ed3.jpg

1/4" thick with a high grind

12dd4ff775b4d3a44ea9c69b2a17ff2b_zpsf3ec97dd.jpg

It's wickedly sharp and stays like that for forever. I batonned a few pieces of split oak, made about 20 tent stakes, a couple snares and then started making fuzz. It was still shaving sharp after. It won't replace Elmax as my favorite steel, but as a higher end carbon steel, I like it.

Wow!! Very impressive!! Your work is a real inspiration for me! Did you anneal the D2 before grinding it? That might help for next time, although I've never worked with D2 before.

Jericoh,
Yep! D2 and CPM-D2 are a BEAR to work!
Technically, D2 is a semi stainless at 4% chromium. Its about as low as I go on the stain resist level for my culinary knives.

You have made a sweet looking Bushcrafter and I wish to encourage you to work more with this steel and try the CPM-D2 version as it has a very fine grain structure that gives a very durable & long lasting edge.

It also seems to have a orange peel type finish no matter how fine I have finished it?
Walter probably knows much more about working and finishing this steel than I so keep close with him.:biggrin:

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Back