opinions please

Bruce McLeish

This is a pic of a recent edc I completed. The spine fileDSC01879.JPGDSC01879.JPGwork is a new design I'm trying.
Question is this : should I fill the work with clear epoxy or leave it as is? Thanks.

It HAS to be filled with something. Otherwise it'll just get full of crud and be hard to clean. Either go clear or tinted.

Maybe clear with a little flake in it? Like brass filing or something to match the liners?

Sent from my Champion Forge using Tapatalk

I know lots of folks like filework on the spine between the handle scales but personally I've never liked it much and have never done it.
so now you have to decide epoxy or no epoxy Bruce, with no epoxy something kind of looks like its missing but with epoxy....and this is just my opinion, years down the road that epoxy filled filework isn't going to look like it would next month. and that's my reason for not really liking epoxy filled filework. I've seen knives with it 5-10-20 years old and one of the first things that stands out to me on those knives is shrinkage or what ever happened to the epoxy, on the other hand just about every knife I make gets filework, just ahead of the handle going down the blade.

But where your standing now I would probably do the epoxy because like Sean said, if you don't dirt and other stuff will make it's way in there
leading to someone down the road picking at the stuff and possibly damaging the liners you used there...which will lead that person to say...why didn't the dumb azz that made this knife use epoxy in this filework? :D

I know lots of folks like filework on the spine between the handle scales but personally I've never liked it much and have never done it.
so now you have to decide epoxy or no epoxy Bruce, with no epoxy something kind of looks like its missing but with epoxy....and this is just my opinion, years down the road that epoxy filled filework isn't going to look like it would next month. and that's my reason for not really liking epoxy filled filework. I've seen knives with it 5-10-20 years old and one of the first things that stands out to me on those knives is shrinkage or what ever happened to the epoxy, on the other hand just about every knife I make gets filework, just ahead of the handle going down the blade.

But where your standing now I would probably do the epoxy because like Sean said, if you don't dirt and other stuff will make it's way in there
leading to someone down the road picking at the stuff and possibly damaging the liners you used there...which will lead that person to say...why didn't the dumb azz that made this knife use epoxy in this filework? :D
the question answers itself .... Dumb azz !
Good reply , though Steve. Guess it's clear epoxy down the slot. I'll post pics of the result.
Thanks guys. I appreciate the opinions.
Bruce

Back