Orange G10 help please/G10 in general

izafireman

Had a request for a hunting knife with an Orange G10 handle. My preference is to polish the G10 so it is bright and smooth but the customer asked if it could be left 'grippy'. Now I have hand sanded dark colour G10s but I am not sure how Orange G10 will look if left matt, nor if it would just pick up dirt on the surface in use, obviously darker colours wont show dirt up so much.

So does anyone have any advice on this please or even an image of a matt Orange G10 handle on a knife please?

Also I note some G10 is prone to burning when sanded, some such as one of the dark green I used today seem to be very easily burnt but orange for example didn't. Are there certain G10 colours that are known for burning, if so which to avoid?

Thanks

All g10 can show dirt and grime. Especially white, it is a pain. I am not all that happy with yellow, either. Orange has not been as big of problem for me.

But, talk to your customer and ask about an orange combo color. Hides the messes a bit better. I think this is orange/white/black. This color combo also gives you a few more sheath options.

Just a thought.

DSC05434.jpg

All g10 can show dirt and grime. Especially white, it is a pain. I am not all that happy with yellow, either. Orange has not been as big of problem for me.

But, talk to your customer and ask about an orange combo color. Hides the messes a bit better. I think this is orange/white/black. This color combo also gives you a few more sheath options.

Just a thought.

DSC05434.jpg
Looks great Dennis.

Thank for the replies gents. I might look into making my own Micarta like the one shown here, great idea.

Is making your own micarta a worthwhile endeavor? The process looks interesting, albeit potentially messy.

Is making your own micarta a worthwhile endeavor? The process looks interesting, albeit potentially messy.
It’s worth it for something that has sentimental value like your grandfather’s old Carhart jacket or maybe an old shirt your Dad wore. Maybe you have an idea for something that you can’t find anywhere. Then it’s worth it to make it yourself. With a little planning ahead it’s really not that messy.

to avoid g10 burning while grinding/sanding use a lower speed and fresh belts. It's not the product, it's the technique. It will all work the same and there is no one type of g10 that is less prone to sanding burn.

Most g10 is polished for a glossy or semi-glossy finish as the "exposed" glass mat left with a rough grind isn't all that appealing. You won't get any better grip if it is left rough vs polished.

All g10 does not use the same epoxy or mat (pre-peg actually). You will see variations in color and glass mat weave size.

to avoid g10 burning while grinding/sanding use a lower speed and fresh belts. It's not the product, it's the technique. It will all work the same and there is no one type of g10 that is less prone to sanding burn.

Most g10 is polished for a glossy or semi-glossy finish as the "exposed" glass mat left with a rough grind isn't all that appealing. You won't get any better grip if it is left rough vs polished.

All g10 does not use the same epoxy or mat (pre-peg actually). You will see variations in color and glass mat weave size.

Thanks Tracy

Back