Other stainless options

Cojab

While reading the thread started about stainless steels by the weatherman, I two questions of my own that Ive been wondering about. I didnt want to hijack his thread so here goes.
1. Is there a stainless that I can easily heat treat at home in my Evenheat kiln?
2. Do all stainless steels need cryo treatment? What results do you get w/out cryo?
Thanks

If you have an evenheat, you can ht stainless. I use an evenheat, and I only work with stainless now. Only catch is, you will want to foil wrap your blades with ht foil. Otherwise it would cost you a couple belts to grind off all of the decarb you will end up with.

Cryo isn't required, but it does add some hardness and toughness to the finished blade - which we all want. You can still make a functional stainless blade without it, you just will not reach that particular metal's potential.

For your stainless ht recipies, check out Boss' write ups on the USA knifemaker website. Those are a great starting point for you to start.

Edit: I forgot you asked about which steels. I would suggest starting with some 440c. It is cheap, makes good blades, and will give you some good ammo for testing out your new methods. From there, move up to the s30v, cpm154, s90v, Elmax, etc...

Last edited:
Cojab,
The three Slacker has noted,
Cpm-S30V, Cpm-154 & Cpm-S90V are all from
Crucible Particle Metals, Hence the CPM destination, these are excellent Powdered metals. I would recommend Cpm-S35VN Over the S30, easier to grind and has the same HT. These are on the expensive side, start with the 440C an another I would suggest before these is CM-154
Same as Cpm-154 but not a powder but a poured steel and less costly to start with.

At the end of the day all of my culinary knives would work and last fine in 440C thou I do use the CPM-154 and the CPM-S35VN for improvement in fine grain structure and increase in edge holding.

Also I have all of my stainless steels HTed by Paul Bos Heating treating by Buck Knives.

There is None Better!
Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Back