Ouch! What to safely cover blade with

knifecarver

I'm almost finished carving my 1st fixed blade knife and I have more cuts than I can count. I don't want to use tape to cover the blade. Does any one know what engravers use to protect the rest of the knife while working? I have more fixed blades to work on and I don't want to leave my DNA on all of them. Gloves are out of the question.
Thanks! WOOF!
Cathy

The blue masking tape works good for me . Doesn't leave a hard to clean residue , either .
Is there any particular reason you don't want to use tape ?

Dan

Cathy if your carving handles You need to duct tape the blade . If you ever carved with a super sharp blade exposed youll loose a finger. I near lost 3 last month still no feeling as I severed the nerves they are coming back but could light a match to them and wouldnt have felt a thing. I use duct tape on all knives needing work . If your working on the blades then just tape the very edge. Kellyw

You can make a cardboard sheath that fits tightly over the blade.
This works with fixed or folders. Shoe box cardboard works the best.
Just fold a piece in half and tape the open seam and the end where the tip of the blade will be.
Make it fit tight so it doesn't slip off when you are working.
This is a perfect safety precaution as well as protecting your work.
You can also use cardboard to protect the handle when working on the blade.
Just make it fit over the handle tight.
I have been using this method for more than 40 years and have never cut myself once with a knife.
Safety comes first.
If your carving, than you are an artist.
Without the use of your hands you won't be one anymore.
Be careful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I secind the carboard recommendation. Blue shop paper towels work well too. Just fold them up and wrap around the blade and the wrap tape around it.

Anything wrapped around the blade will work.
The most important thing is to stop hurting yourself when you are trying to create.
The good thing about the cardboard way is it's reusable.
I have many ready made for different thicknesses and lengths.
Give it a try, it works well.
I even have written on the cardboard "Caution very sharp" just incase someone else, when you are not around wants to check out your work not realizing the blades are razor sharp.

If you have access to a machine shop in your area see if they will let you have the plastic covers that come on their new band saw blades. These work great for me and you can cut them to the size you need.

3x on the cardboard. I use manila folders cut, folded and taped on one side. I ship my knives to customers this way (out of the sheath). corrugated cardboard has a lot of impurities in it which can sometimes scratch the blade. The folders are pretty safe, and easy to come by.

I would recommend electrical tape or a good painters tape. Both are fairly inexpensive and neither will really leave any type of residue. And if it does, and quick spritz with some penetrating lube, WD-40, mineral spirits, acetone, etc.... etc.... will get rid of it almost immediately and effortlessly. And since you should oil your blades up anyway, you're killing two birds with one stone.... ;)

Another option may be to get a decent knifemakers vice, and clamp it such that he edge of the blade is protected.

Shoe box cardboard is free. Blue tape is very expensive and everything else mentioned here you will have to purchase. With the shoe box type cardboard the side with the writing on it "the outside of the box" has a plastic coating that will not scratch the blade. Use this side with the plastic coating against the blade steel. Trust me, I have tried different materials and this type of cardboard works the best when still working on your project.

I use Masking and/or painters tape.

If there is any residue left just use Naphtha to wipe it off. It's the main ingredient in goop off. Its also known as traditional lighter fluid, and ridiculously cheap for the job it does and compared to goof off.

I've had bad luck with cardboard scratching the blade so if I use it I tape the blade under the cardboard.

The tip about the coated side of shoebox cardboard is certainly interesting.

Why are you all working on sharpened knives?

I can see the occasional instance where this would happen, but even most of those times you could safe the edge and re-sharpen.

Fellhoelter I was gonna ask the same thing . The only time ive cut myself is while working on a sharpened knife . Thats why I duct tape up the blades if the blade comes to me already sharp . I custom sharpen blades of all kinds and types and duct tape comes off in a second with acetone . Now if the blade is blued then I wrap computer paper around the blade then duct tape it up. I near cut off 3 fingers not very long ago 12 stitches later and still very little feeling in my fingers it was because I sharpened a blade way to sharp and when I pulled the blade from the sheath it cut through near cutting off my last three finger tips . The baby fingeris still the worst. It was a cheap nylon type sheath and I should have known better to try pulling the blade out fast.

Blue or green tape and acetone is all I use here when I don't want to scratch a blade.
Usually don't need to protect myself from anything but the tip though...

Lately I have just been using a Mineral oil and Coleman Fluid (white gas) mix to clean all my blades/handles.
Cleans everything off, even Tormek paste, and leaves a light coat of the oil.
Works wonders on Micarta too.

As Brian is saying, where is the problem with taping and cleaning off the blade when your work is completed ? Just a touch of alconol or acetone and it would be clean again. Frank

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I'm not a knife maker and until 4 months ago, I never thought of a knife as a blank slate for my artwork, so I have a lot to learn. That's why I'm glad I joined Knife Dogs. I'll be posting pictures of this carved polished stag Hen & Rooster soon. This one was done special with Knife Dogs in mind, so watch out for it!

Cathy

Back