Pakistani Video

opaul

I know these damascus type knives have been discussed previously. But I’m under the weather and watching lots of you tube videos.
The one I watched yesterday says it all to me. It was a lengthy video showing the process of making different style knives.
The stacked metal surfaces were not cleaned prior to making the billet. But what was more interesting is that in every operation the blade that came directly out of the quench was dipped in a second quenchent and then hammered straightened. The blade was never tempered. There was no sequence lapse that I could discern.
But must amazingly all the operations were done squatting on the floor barefooted. And no obvious safe guards in place.
And this was just one operation that I suspect turns out hundreds of knives a week.

If you don’t have enough carbon in the material that you are using to make it high hardness why temper it?
You think ;>}
My point exactly without stating the obvious.
No way suitable knife steel could have been used.
It’s a shame really because most of those guys are talented craftsman.
Kind of like using inferior plywood to make cabinets. Same construction and labor resulting in an inferior product.

I would love to see what those guys could turn out if they had some real equipment! Those guys are unbelievable how they can hammer out a knife squating, with a hammer and a chunk of steel for an anvil!

You think ;>}
My point exactly without stating the obvious.
No way suitable knife steel could have been used.
It’s a shame really because most of those guys are talented craftsman.
Kind of like using inferior plywood to make cabinets. Same construction and labor resulting in an inferior product.
Joke was they use tin, car bumpers, and anything else they can salvage!!!

Friend of mine was at a show a guy had bought one of those Pakistani knives (looked great) friend of his. My buddy took one of his knives he had made and battoned his knife almost thru the Pakistani one! This is the picture he took of it!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230916_223443_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230916_223443_Facebook.jpg
    609.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Friend of mine was at a show a guy had bought one of those Pakistani knives (looked great) friend of his. My buddy took one of his knives he had made and battoned his knife almost thru the Pakistani one! This is the picture he took of it!
If it’s ok I’d like to use that picture! Says it all.

I’ve seen them shave steel off one of their blades with a good knife.

I know. Here in NC at knife and gun shows they typically have 4/5 tables with buyers clamoring over the damascus knives for only $100.

The Sportsmen's Expo in Sacramento has a table or two of those types of knives as well. People all around them ooo'ing and ahhh'ing at the damascus. My son and I just look and laugh.

It would be fun to take a good blade and shave steel off of one of theirs right in front of everybody!

Back