Paper/leather wheels

Nylund knives

Hi,

I need some sort of sharpening wheel for final polishing of the edge.

What would you prefer, a paper or a leather wheel?

I have a buffer that runs at 100-600 rpm. I also have a big 16'' wooden wheel that I could make into a leather wheel and use with the buffer.

What do you use?

Regards Jakob

Jakob, you could use a strop made from heavy leather glued to a length of board with buffing compound on it. It would be a lot easier to make and does a great job.

Carey

Jakob, you could use a strop made from heavy leather glued to a length of board with buffing compound on it. It would be a lot easier to make and does a great job.

Carey

Yes, but I already have the wheel and it fits to my buffer so I could just glue the leather to the wheel I guess? I also have the leather already...

It you glue leather to a wooden wheel....BE CAREFUL! I've seen several individual get hurt, a couple seriously, from the same thing. Take Carey's advice and use the strop.

i dont know leather for say i know wood my thinking is if you use something strong enoff to bond the strop to a wooden wheel i could soke trow and make not useable with polishing compond & A LOSE strop flating could be dangeres

Back