Parks 50

Jesse Latham

A while back there were mentions of where the best prices were for p50. I haven't been able to find the thread. Do you remember where or who?

Best pricing I saw was here.

This is where I bought AAA from. It might take awhile though. As I recall it was 2-3 weeks.

Maxim Oil used to have the best pricing as far as I recall. IIRC, they charge about $100 for 5 gallons, and somewhere around $50 on average for shipping, so around $30 per gallon. I don't think they sell less than 5 gallon buckets, though most makers really should be using more than a gallon for your average sized knife.

From what I understand "Dubois Chemical" is the current owner/manufacturer for Parks 50, formerly "Heatbath Corp." (bought by Dubois). It's also been my understanding that Parks/Dubois doesn't sell to individuals, at least not unless you're interested in purchasing 55 gallon drums, and probably multiple at that...

Kevin in his heat treating video recommended Houghton International. Just go to their site and look up their fast quenching oil. At least at the time he made the video they also listed data on their quenchants.

Doug

Maxim Oil used to have the best pricing as far as I recall. IIRC, they charge about $100 for 5 gallons, and somewhere around $50 on average for shipping, so around $30 per gallon. I don't think they sell less than 5 gallon buckets, though most makers really should be using more than a gallon for your average sized knife.

From what I understand "Dubois Chemical" is the current owner/manufacturer for Parks 50, formerly "Heatbath Corp." (bought by Dubois). It's also been my understanding that Parks/Dubois doesn't sell to individuals, at least not unless you're interested in purchasing 55 gallon drums, and probably multiple at that...

Dubois does sell to individuals in 5 gallon containers. I just bought from them about 6 weeks ago. Took about 2 weeks to deliver though.

Untitled.jpg

Dubois does sell to individuals in 5 gallon containers. I just bought from them about 6 weeks ago. Took about 2 weeks to deliver though.

View attachment 79246
I stand corrected. That's good to know.
From what I remember, Parks' former owners wouldn't give the average Joe the time of day. Apparently their new owners are much more accommodating.

The steel bucket is a nice touch too!

Back