Paul KITH WIP - BOWIE

opaul

Here are pictures of the bowie I'm making for the KITH - Bowie.

Here is the template for the Bowie, it will be a full flat grind.

I have the initial bevel established and I'm flattening the flats. I would love to do a mid grind but I'm not there quite yet.

Finished the belt sanding, I'll do a little touch up before I heat treat.

I decided to do a hamon, so I applied the clay before the heat treat.

In the oven!

After heat treating I'm hand sanding to 600 grit.

Ready to etch after cleaning the blade good with Dawn and the blade at 600 grit.

I forgot to take a picture of the hamon. It turned out ok but not as good as past attempts.

Fitting the bolster.

I'll post more pic's as I progress.

Last edited:
Looks pretty good. Looks like a nice bowie blade.

I have to ask though......why hand sand at all prior to heat treating, especially to 600 grit?

Seems like a lot of wasted time, effort and sandpaper. The blade will have to be belt ground to remove decarb/scale and clay crud post heat treating anyway.

Looks pretty good. Looks like a nice bowie blade.

I have to ask though......why hand sand at all prior to heat treating, especially to 600 grit?

Seems like a lot of wasted time, effort and sandpaper. The blade will have to be belt ground to remove decarb/scale and clay crud post heat treating anyway.
You are correct. I got my photos and comments out of order.
I do all my hand sanding after heat treat. Good catch.

I got some more shop time today and this is the WIP progress.

Got the guard fitted and ready to mount. The other one I had didn't work out. It was to thin and I broke it ;(.

Dry fit up of the micarta spacer and Sambar Stag handle.

Picture of all the antler stuff. One of my least favorite parts of hidden tang work.

You're moving right along op! I was supposed to get my drawing printed out today but ran out of time. My wife's printer isn't big enough so it's Alphagraphics for the print out

Back