Paul KITH WIP - BOWIE

Here is the work accomplished yesterday evening and so far to day. Keep in mind the is the way I do these steps, I'm sure everyone has a different method.

After getting the opening in the antler, I fill the hole with epoxy and after taping the tang with Teflon tape I insert the blade into the handle and let it cure. This is after the cure. I had it in the vise overnight.

After removing the tape to keep the epoxy off of everything the blade is ready to come out of the handle.

The blade removed from the antler and the pocket in the antler cleaned up from any tape left after pulling the blade.

I'm dry fitting all the parts and have drilled the for the pin. I did some preliminary grinding on the antler at the transition between the micarta spacer and antler.

This is after much hand sanding on the spacer/antler intersection and shaping of the guard. Still more fit and finish to go but it's getting close.

Question. Right now the Bowie is 13" long. The blade is 7" and the handle is 6" including the guard. Do you think the handle is too long? If so what length would be good?

I think that handle length is determined by two things : blade length and users hand size. That being said , I like the handle length now , but it's gonna also depend on the treatment of the hilt.

I think that handle length is determined by two things : blade length and users hand size. That being said , I like the handle length now , but it's gonna also depend on the treatment of the hilt.
I plan on mounting a thin metal pommel. Most likely damascus,

Then that handle length looks good and proportional . (To my eye , anyway !. Just consider the source before making any decisions. )

It looks a touch long to me, but that could be the photo as well. If it helps the handle on mine will be right at 5" from the back to the front of the ricasso.

Back