pay it forward thread gone?

Good morning Luke, those look pretty big - what type of antler are they? I've got plenty of whitetail deer, but would be interested in one of those if possible. Can those be sliced into slabs for scales? OR, is the center of antler too porous?

Good morning Luke, those look pretty big - what type of antler are they? I've got plenty of whitetail deer, but would be interested in one of those if possible. Can those be sliced into slabs for scales? OR, is the center of antler too porous?
I'll take another shot with a ruler. They are big and I hadn't realized the picture wouldn't show how large they are. My internet is too slow now but will get better pictures tomorrow. It's moose.

I was planning on at least 1 pair of scales 1/4" thick per crown. Were I to cut them I was going to pick the best straightest parts, then see if I could get any more after that. If there is no other interest you can have them both. Maybe you can get a better matching set that way. It'd probably be fair since I have more antler to give away later. I think the inside block you'd be left with would be too porous to use. But I was going to look at it and decide after I cut it.

Some clearer pictures. From the top, bottom, and side of one piece. The other piece of antler would be about the same.
005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg

Last edited:
LOL, that's not a 1" wide tape!

Here are some other pieces I'd like to pay forward:
Top and sides:
005.jpg

008.jpg
009.jpg
Looking down the piece:
004.jpg
And a side shot so you can see these have some curves to deal with.
003.jpg
Number 7 is for matching beads. First come first serve on that. Just indicate the piece and let me know if you want 7 with it.

Here's what it looks like inside: It's sort of red and tan. Here it's next to nickel silver and walnut.

008 (2).jpg

I know you said the first big pieces were Moose, are the tines from moose also? Those would make some really nice hidden tang handles.

Good for you Luke, making an offer of PIF.

Ken H>

If the smaller ones are moose antler, I would love to make a knife from one or two. I have never made a moose knife. Something 1 to 1.25 or so across would be ideal. But, beggars should not be choosers.

Never made a knife with antler before I'd love to try a piece if there are any still available? Thanks!

I know you said the first big pieces were Moose, are the tines from moose also? Those would make some really nice hidden tang handles.
If the smaller ones are moose antler, I would love to make a knife from one or two. I have never made a moose knife. Something 1 to 1.25 or so across would be ideal. But, beggars should not be choosers.
These are caribou. I have some moose tines, too. I'll pm you guys the specifics because they need some attention. I'm not sure how much yet. Thanks for giving me an idea for you Dennis. I probably should have began the thread with the question of finding out what people look for in antler for knives.

Never made a knife with antler before I'd love to try a piece if there are any still available? Thanks!

Great Gliden! I'll send you a PM later this afternoon.

These are caribou. I have some moose tines, too. I'll pm you guys the specifics because they need some attention. I'm not sure how much yet. Thanks for giving me an idea for you Dennis. I probably should have began the thread with the question of finding out what people look for in antler for knives.

Great Gliden! I'll send you a PM later this afternoon.
Thank you!!

I would be interested in trading you something for enough Moose or Caribou antler to make a knife. I do not know if Black Walnut grows in Alaska but I have a lot of it in blocks. I have experimented with stabilizing pieces of half heartwood (dark brown) and half sapwood (very light/soft) so I have one piece with strong contrast. Anyhow, I would be happy to trade. I also have a butt load of white oak but it really only looks good on butcher knives.

Last edited:
Back