Persian Kard...

J. Doyle

Dealer - Purveyor
This is a special knife that I made to exhibit at the CKCA Mini Show on Thursday night before Blade this year. I was honored to be chosen as one of the makers. It's my take on an 18th century Persian Kard. It's not meant to be an exact replica of any one piece, but rather has features and details influenced and blended from a couple different historical examples. This knife was something I've had on my mind to make for quite some time. I've done a bit of study on kards and thought it would be a good platform to try something new but still keep a lot of my style elements. I thought the special occasion of the mini show would be a good time to do this.

More info on the CKCA Mini Show can be found here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1393603-CKCA-Mini-Show-The-Knives-2016

This knife challenged me in a few ways but I'm happy how it turned out. I knew I would be interested in making it but as I started the project and saw it starting to come together, I REALLY enjoyed making this even more than I thought I would and it won't be my last one.

Specs:
Hand forged from W2 steel, clay quenched
9 1/2" blade, 14 1/4" overall
'Twisted Steel' fileworked spine
Bronze collar w/ stippled band
Bronze 'Thorn and Vine' fileworked accents
Fluted damascus spacer
African Blackwood handle, hand carved w/ high relief leaves and vine motif and stippled background
Damascus Finial

All comments and discussion welcome.

Thank you for the great photo Coop...and working with the schedule for this project!

Last edited:
Wow, excellent knife, John. Clean and full of detail. This piece showcases your skills very well.

John

You just plain ole amaze me. You made this knife look beautiful and interesting at the same time.

You have an immense talent at making knives and I'm in awe.

DeMo

Thanks DeMo. I really appreciate that.

Here's a close up pic: And you can click on this pic, which will take you to the photobucket account pic, then click on the magnifying glass and get it even bigger.

Superb Mr. Doyle, something about the knife says Khyber pass Afghanistan to me, Really like the stickery style.

Back