Pet blade steels

Probably not relevant to you guys as our steel here is sourced from the US and England. 4 and 5mm O1 is English and I like it a lot for heavier blades. 1084 is my standard for most edc/hunting knives with 15N20 for the little fellers. Having to anneal the 15N20 is a necessity though for any drilling of handle hardware.
Have used a few others (52100 5160 N690) but the three noted are my standards with (to date) repeatable results. The O1 always comes wraped in grease poof paper with the English flag and HT data, while the 1095 and 15N20 always comes marked as such on the steel.

no issues with Aldo, good steel. but his 1084 not available thinner than 1/8". I would suggest O1 before trying A2. O1 heat treats almost the same as 1084. A2 needs a heat treat similar to stainless, but offers none of the bonuses.

Thank you for this source! I've been looking for a source of 01 that had reasonable shipping. I went in a made a sample order of 200 bucks and the shipping was less than a couple of the pieces I received from others!

Back