Petty Blade Type

me2

Just wondering what is the usual way to grind a petty, single (chisel) bevel or double bevel? I've seen double bevel ones here, and zknives.com says they're usually single bevel. I have material for a couple and wanted to know what the standard way was. To offer my opinion, I'd like to do them double beveled for the first try of this style of knife.

Just wondering what is the usual way to grind a petty, single (chisel) bevel or double bevel? I've seen double bevel ones here, and zknives.com says they're usually single bevel. I have material for a couple and wanted to know what the standard way was. To offer my opinion, I'd like to do them double beveled for the first try of this style of knife.

I both make and sell 5-6" Japanese petty knives and the vast majority of the Japanese ones I sell and all of the ones I make are double bevel.

I don't read Japanese and haven't been there to see how many Petty knives are single bevel. Also I am learning more about all of the Japanese culinary knives and don't claim to be a master of them,
but the vast majority of single bevel I see are the longer and possibly thicker Deba style, Sushi roll & Sashimi knives.

So, To answer your question? I go with the double bevel at a thickness of 0.125" for a few and mostly 0.98" or thinner on my petty knives and have never had anyone, even Japanese trained Chefs, tell me that they should be single bevel grinds?

Hope this helps

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I have used a single bevel Japanese utility knife (petty) and could never get used to it. From that point on, it has been full flat ground, distally tapered with a western handle style of knife. Typically I do them in 1/16" and leave them with as high an hrc as possible. These knives don't work the board (most use them in hand) much if it all and as you know they're mainly a fruit/veggie knife so you're able to do things with them that aren't feasible with other knife types.

Back