Petty Chefs

DanF

One in Sycamore, it will get a natural finish with tru oil. The other with African Blackwood w/red liners. Will post final of sycamore when all coats complete and dry.
Both using 15n20.20190430_162225-459x816_crop_367x577.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, I used 15n20, cutting edge a hair over 6.5". OAL a little over 11"
I have ordered and received a bunchof aeb-l, still researching for best ht and temper for thin kitchen knives.

Thanks, I used 15n20, cutting edge a hair over 6.5". OAL a little over 11"
I have ordered and received a bunchof aeb-l, still researching for best ht and temper for thin kitchen knives.
I've got some AEBL that I haven't used yet.

The African Blackwood profile is not of my design, It is from an el cheapo kitchen knife I have had for years. The handle is very comfy.
View attachment 68592

Yes, I still suck at pics, trying to show the red liners.

I did modify it a bit for more width spine to blade.
The el cheapo knives are not cheap because of their design but the material, fit and finish. Often a subtle use of the design with good materials and superior fit and finish as you have done will bring a superb knife into someones hands.

The el cheapo knives are not cheap because of their design but the material, fit and finish. Often a subtle use of the design with good materials and superior fit and finish as you have done will bring a superb knife into someones hands.

I agree with this 100%. Very often the el cheapo knives are FANTASTIC designs from both an ergonomic standpoint as well as having supurb geometry. The engineering and design behind many of them is truly first rate. What kills their quality is the need to build them to a price point where they can be sold for $30 by the end retailer.

I patterned my 5 inch chef loosely on a cheap OXO Goodgrips knife that my wife loves dearly. The OXO knife was a dog out of the box, but once I thinned the blade and put a good edge on it, it became a great knife. It won’t hold an edge for long, though. Again, just poor materials.

For a new maker. spending time in the specialty kitchen shops studying the knife racks and then in the big box stores and the similarity in design is apparent between the high end and el cheapo knives.
Even to buying a few of the cheap knives to study "in hand" feel and blade geometary will add a lot to the knowledge base you have as far as design goes.

I have a Winco KSTK-80 8-Inch Blade knife with soft-grip handle, using it for fish filleting. It’s nice and smooth when flaying any kind of meat and I’d never replace it with anything else as it’s a pro knife I’ve got from my mate chief (he bought it at the https://mcdonaldpaper.com/cooking-equipment marketplace). I tried to find at least similar device and failed as the design and ergonomics are still inaccessible for any other item factory that I’ve searched for.

Sycamore (as the kids say) "LOOKING SYC!!" I love the Tru-Oil finish too. That's all I've used on my wood handled knives! Very nice!!

Back