Pics of knives I've made and WIP

redmech

This is just going to be a picture thread, and a place to throw up some pictures of knives I'm working on.

This was my first knife to get my new stamp, I made about four months ago.

Untitled by redmech, on Flickr

Here is one I still need to seal and epoxy the handle. 5/32" O1 with forced patina.

Here is one I have hardened and tempered, just need to finish grind and do handles. In the pic, I hadn't heat treated yet.

Here is a version of the classic pilot survival knife I am making. Working with 1084 for the first time on this one. Ready to muster up the courage to start grinding it.

Just a pic of three blades out of the quench oil.

I'll post along the process of my pilot knife. I haven't started grinding the grind yet, or making the guard or making the 1" brass hexagonal pommel. I am also in the middle of getting my old South Bend Turret lathe wired back up and getting it running. It hasn't ran in about 15 years.

Cutting a piece of 3/16" thick brass for my guard for a pilot survival knife.

Using one 1-2-3 block to square up the other to make a square fence so my guard is ground square. Also I have my USAknifemaker.com ceramic flat platen installed and working

My lines laid out and center punched. Ready to be drilled and filed to size.

Holes drilled and I had opened up the holes with a round file. Ready to square up with some time and a flat file.
Almost there.

Guard is done for now.

Now to grind the blade, harden and temper, finish grind, cut out micarta for a stacked micarta handle, and get the brass hex pommel made. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Here is my first varied grind I'm working and trying to get finished.

Ready for handles,

Glueing up some thin Hunter orange liners to black canvas micarta scales for this knife.

Last edited:
I have no idea why all the other jibberish is in my post.

Edit to add, I erased and made all the jibberish go away.

Last edited:
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Since I don't have my lathe operational, I did some layout work to try to grind the hex stock down to the right diameter. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)][/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Untitled by redmech, on Flickr[/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]
[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Ready to harden, temper, and put the handle together. [/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]

I like your apparent attention to the details. I was told that if you take care of the details the rest will take care of itself. Knife making can be hard work, but the love for doing it can turn the "hard" part is irrelevant when passion is involved. Good work.

Thank you Eric, I'm a fan of aim small miss small. I have a couple talented full time makers that I have become friends with, also a customer of them. They have been instrumental in helping me out. I'd like a mill, better grinder, and some other stuff. But I'm determined to make great blades with what I have now. I know it's possible, just gotta keep getting better. I've found for every ounce of skill I earn, it comes with two more pounds of expectations. I almost enjoy the build more than I enjoy the final product.

My version of the bolt knife has been put on hold, while I get these made. I had a buddy of mine that is a great knifemaker. His knives are some of the cleanest around. He told me that making knives for other people will make me push myself harder and farther in this craft. Up to this point most all my knives have stayed with me. This is my first batch with plans for them all to go to others. I am obsessing over every little detail, and shooting for perfection, ain't gonna get it, but I'll try. Thanks for looking.

[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]

Thanks Justin, they are scheduled to go to three people, the fourth, is a backup, in case I screw one up. Or my wife keeps saying she wants one. She might get the fourth. You have been knocking out some nice stuff. I bet you are loving your new grinder.

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Here are a couple more pics of these knives I'm starting to get handles on. [/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)] [/COLOR]

Back