Pin Pattern / Whats you opinion?

Diamond G Knives

Just started finishing up this hunter, but Im not really digging the pin pattern. Dont know if smaller pins would have been better, or just less pins. Looked good on the drawing, but I dont like the finished product. Whats your views on it?? Im looking for honest answers, so dont be bashful!

Thanks and God Bless
Mike

Attachments

• Moose Handle Droppoint.jpg
    Moose Handle Droppoint.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 131
  • Moose Handle Droppoint Pin Pattern.jpg
    Moose Handle Droppoint Pin Pattern.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 136
I do think there are too many and/or too big. By following the contour of the handle it makes the pins seem random in their placement. A lot of pins works well on some handles but it just doesn't go with the flow on that one in my humble opinion.

I think smaller would work better. That many of that size seems to detract from the handle material. I also find that I like the knives with multiple pins better when there is more contrast between the pins and the handle color. What I'm trying to say is that I like darker handle material with multiple pins.

Charlie

Yep-Too big and too many

The [many] might be fine if they were like half the dia.
But what do I know, I'm just a red billy?
Jerry

Last edited:
sorry but everyone has and I agree way to many pins if your pins were 1/8 then it may have looked a little better but I doubt it. I would remove the handle a redo it with 6 pins and make one lanyard if youd like one.

I just looked it over and it would probable be best to keep the lanyad then the 2 end pins on both ends and keep the 4 centre pins then it wont be out of balance. By doing that your removing 8 pins and free up lots .

I don' think too many, just too big and poorly placed.Uselayout blue and and your calipers and follow the contour of the handle about a 1/4" in and use 1/16" pins spaced about a 1/4" apart.The thing about multipule pins is placement it must be layed out exactly.
Good looking blade.
Stan

It's that lower left pin. Out of place. Needs to drop down then add one to the left of that. To late now. I feel for ya that's a lot of work.

I agree with to many and poor placement. I really like the shape of the whole knife, has a good flow from blade to handle. You can still fix this, with hidden pins to secure the scales, and use short pins through each scale in against the tang, if you would like pins to show. hope this makes sense, if not PM me and I will try to explain better

Hey Mike,

Overall not bad, but A couple of ideas.
Lose the lanyard, smaller pins of nickel silver. Also, I think a different handle material. Perhaps Black Micarda or African blackwood. I'm thinking of the contrast. What ya think?

to big and to many. With the right material combo that style could look realy good.The 1 pin that looks "droped" distracts from the over all look I think.

The knife is not bad overall, If ya didn't try it ya wouldn't have known.

I know it would be a pain,but as good as you have made the rest of the knife look,I would remove those slabs,and start over with the handle.

God bless,Keith

My opinion, a handle that contoured really doesnt lend itself to such a pin pattern. Ive seen coffin handles and overall more rectangular handles look OK, but I dont think a contoured one carries it. ...maybe if they were much smaller, say 3/32", it would be better. But hey, if you really don't like it, you have a great test knife- see if you tear it up! :)

Thats exactly what its gonna be. Im sending it to my Bud up in the UP of Michigan. He is a professional trapper and guide. If anyone will give it a work out, its him. Plus he will give me an honest no BS opinion on how it does or does not perform.

I dont know why I didi this one like this, had this pin pattern "In my head" for some time, now its out! Ive got several of this style in the works, I did a fit up on one last week with 2 1/4" Pins. Like the look MUCH better!

Thanks for all the input guys!

God Bless
Mike

Last edited:
Back