Pins for handles

SDB777

Wondering where everyone is getting their 'pins' for handle material?

A quick search showed Texas Knife Supply, but being new enough to not know much of anything....figured I would check here!

Scott (only dangerous before beer drinking) B

Boss dog here has plenty of pins and bolts. If you just want some pin stock, Most hardware and hobby shops have small brass,white brass and stainless bar stock in 1/8" and smaller.

Then get a numbered drill bit that is just slightly oversized so you can epoxy and peen the heads.

go to an industrial supply house, such as McMaster/Carr. you can find round stock from 1/16" to 2" diameter, in brass, bronze, aluminum, stain resistant steel, mild steel, plastics, wood. or go a few pages further and look at steel dowel pins. again, almost any diameter, standard or metric, mild steel, hardened steel or stainless steel.
type "brass round stock" in your internet search, and you should find at least 25 sources and at least half of them do not have a minimum purchase.
the old sailor

old sailors never die, they just spend hours on line trying to save 2 cents on a 50 cent item.

Thanks for everyone suggestions!

I like the idea of getting supplies from a 'supply house', but I'm not sure I would ever be able to use six feet of rod...especially if I don't enjoy making knives. Just saying is all... And the six foot lengths of solid rod are amazingly inexpensive, but the shipping is pretty nasty(go figure).

Maybe I could trade someone some scales/blocks for some? I'll need to verify the sizes.....but maybe this would be a great option for what I need?

Scott (thinking I'd like to go brass first time out) B

Do you have pictures of tradable goods? but start a separate thread in the trades section if you're serious about trading.

( its not like there are repercussions or anything, but it helps keep everything tidy.)

Lowe's (the big box home improvement store) sells 1/8 brass by the 3 ft piece for cheap. I bet I've used 40 ft over the past 5 years.

With a #40 drill bit fitting into the hole...I was told it was probably meant to be used with a 3/32 inch size piece of solid rod. Now 3/32 inch isn't a #40 diameter(0.098)....it's a little smaller. But I'm guessing the epoxy will make up the difference?

Scott (I was so lazy today) B

Man, just pick up an order of stainless steel machine screws. Easy to ship, can get 50-100 for $10 plus $8 shipping and you are set.

I like the size 5-40 because i can use a 1/8 drill bit and it fits perfect

Back