Plywood

LiamLynch

I imagine that stabilised plywood would make a very strong handle material. It wouldn't looks too bad. Is it worth trying or am I being silly. I have lots of plywood and very little money and this idea seems cheap. The layers would be good for symmetry practice and I like layered looking handles. A good idea for new (or old) makers?

Don't let us tell you that it's being silly. Give it a try and see what you think about it. All dymawood is, is impregnated plywood and some swear by It.

Erik

Liam,
Yes, You can make a durable handle with plywood. It won't win any awards for beauty but you can learn and progress your skills for next to nothing.

Fancy versions of this stuff are called Dynawood or Pakkawood with color dyed layers in the plywood.

Have fun!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Plywood is more stable "in a sense" than typically dimensional lumber and rough sawn lumber, but it's really not stabilized in the same way that a knife handle material would be stabilized. It may not necessarily warp or crack on you, but it will retain moisture a little more readily. Even ACQ or "pressure treated" lumber will take on some moisture, not to mention a potential chemical reaction with the blade steel.

Another thing to consider: most construction grade plywood is full of voids and fillers, and you may have to search before you get two consistent pieces to make scales out of.

As far as I'm concerned, a standard pair of black micarta scales is fairly cheap, super stable, and finishes out great. Well worth the 4 or 5 dollar investment per knife if you're gonna make anything you want to last and be proud of.

That being said, I suppose you could practice with it, if you were so inclined. You could probably even stain and seal it to make it a little more durable and moisture resisant, but by that time, you've probably spent more time, effort and even money than you would have on a set of micarta scales.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, construction grade treated plywood and diamondwood/dymawood/pakkawood/insert brand name here are two different things.

Yes they are both made by laminating thin sheets of wood together with high pressure and glue, but the latter is actually manufactured with knife handles in mind. It's more thouroughly impregnated with resins than standard plywood, and much more stable/moisture resistant.

It's not completely moisture resistant, but it is more so than construction grade plywood. That said, I believe it cost as much or more as any other sythesized handle material.

AR, I meant that I would get plywood and have it stabilised. Micarta is expensive here and it would be cheaper to have plywood stabilised. I don't like the look of dymondwood but I figured the plywood won't look too bad. I dot approve of dying wood anyway.

AR, I meant that I would get plywood and have it stabilised. Micarta is expensive here and it would be cheaper to have plywood stabilised. I don't like the look of dymondwood but I figured the plywood won't look too bad. I dot approve of dying wood anyway.

AH..... I see. I suppose that might be a viable option then. Depending on the stabilization process used, I'm not sure how hard/impact resistant it would be, but I imagine it would be pretty stable.

You might also consider buying in bulk or doing a group buy of some micarta (or other synthetic) material directly from a supplier who ships to Scotland. May end up being cheaper than you think. I don't know.

I can afford to use micarta but if I can save anywhere at the moment I do. Buying in bulk is only really good for when I am a bit more established and I know of only one other Scottish maker that uses it so a group buy is off. Can't find other makers because BritishBlades ban you if you say swords are weapons, go figure. I might give it a shot I think, see how it goes while I get started.

My thoughts on this are that if you're devoted you'll likely have a sellable product within the first few knives. If you're very limited on funds you're going to want to sell your early works if possible - and it would be bad if you made a useable knife in all regards aside from it having a plywood handle. That's a zero value handle. You can get oak or maple boards, at least in my location, for very very little and even if it is totally straight grain with no figure you can at least claim it's "hardwood". My base option for a long time was oak, and I gave them a light flaming and some stain and it was beautiful, for a total cost in materials of less than $1 USD.

I am naturally awful at everything practical so selling knives to people who aren't friends and family is off, I never thought of it that way though.

Check out ebay. Just search for "knife scales". There is always an amazing array of wood - everything from dirt cheap to crazy expensive.

Spring cleaning time is here. Check for discarded water and snow skiis in the trash or relieve freinds and relatives of their unused treasures. They work just as well as diamond wood and have almost as many colors......and cheap. OR.....you could start eyeing your furniture.

Rudy

You know Dymondwood has some very natural offerings.

dym.JPG

It is different from plywood in that it's already stablized - properly stabilized, and unlike plywood, the grain all goes the same direction which looks better in a knife handle. Add to that, the stuff is almost free and it's pretty hard to beat. True, there are some "Fisher Price" rainbow pieces, but it gets better.

It's an interesting idea with the plywood, but I'm not even sure it would stabilize with laminating glue.

Try your area cabinet and furniture makers to see if you can get their scraps. There trash may be your gold. Offer to make them a craving tool. Not a knife.

Back