polishing titanium in a tumbler?

I'm sure this is a dumb question because I am not a knife maker so much as a tinkerer but I was wondering if anybody has a process for polishing titanium in a vibratory tumbler? The goal being to take it from a bead blasted finish (160 grit glass bead) to a polished finish without rounding out edges or de-shaping anything. This particular knife is a balisong with cutouts and holes drilled in the handles so it would be pretty much impossible to polish down in the nooks and crannies by hand or with belts. I have been looking at how jewelers polish metal jewelry and gem stones and I was curious if a similar process might work on titanium. What I have in mind is using Silicon Carbide Tumbling grits mixed with some plastic beads for filler. A grit progression from 220,600,800,1000,1200 and possibly finishing with walnut shells and rouge if the 1200 is not shiny enough. I may be fool hearty and completely off base here and I acknowledge that fully but if anyone has any recommendations I am all ears. Thanks Guys.

I doubt it can be done without rounding edges...

For tumbling you can get there with the right tumbler, media, and burnishing compound in multiple steps. However, the way to go is a high energy centrifugal barrel machine.

I sent out the mirrored stonewash clips you see in the video below to have this done and it's perfect. It takes less than an hour in the machine.

I doubt it can be done without rounding edges...

For tumbling you can get there with the right tumbler, media, and burnishing compound in multiple steps. However, the way to go is a high energy centrifugal barrel machine.

I sent out the mirrored stonewash clips you see in the video below to have this done and it's perfect. It takes less than an hour in the machine.
Wow what a beautiful finish! Hey I wanted to ask you if you were going to get more Shirogorov Screws one day? Thanks for the help Josh.

it is possible yes with the right setup, but as Rek mentioned, it will round all corners

Back