Post Vice Restoration

AkWildman

A few weeks ago I walked into a junk /antique store and found a broken post vice in the corner under some broken chain and other rusty old junk.Its leg was broken and missing, its spring was missing as well as the clip and wedge that holds the vice to the mount. The rest of the vice was in decent shape and the lead screw was greased with no damage.I asked the guy what he wanted for it and pointed out all that was wrong and he said 50 bucks,I said I will give you 25,he said 40 and i said 30 and he said 35 and that was that.I got her home and took her all apart and started cleaning her up with a wire wheel. It turned bn out to be a Iron City # 35.The first step was to forge out the c clip and wedge for the mounting collar,next was addressing the broken leg. I dug around in my junk and found a bn old retaining pin that would serve as a foot and a old broken pry bar for the missing leg section.I made a tenon fit and welded it together then blended it on the belt grinder. Next was to forge out a spring out of 1/4 mild steel and put it all together. She runs flawlessly and the jaws close even and parallel. Now I need to build a stand for the old girl.FB_IMG_1577639974862.jpgFB_IMG_1577639974862.jpgFB_IMG_1577640006804.jpgIMG_20191227_164049_583.jpgFB_IMG_1577640025122.jpgFB_IMG_1577639959845.jpg

Great post!

I see mentions of leg vises / post vises all the time, and I have to admit that I don't know what they are used for versus a typical bench vise. What is the purpose, or I suppose the unique purpose, of a leg vise?

Great post!

I see mentions of leg vises / post vises all the time, and I have to admit that I don't know what they are used for versus a typical bench vise. What is the purpose, or I suppose the unique purpose, of a leg vise?
A post vice /leg vise was and is a standard in a forge,the vise is designed so that any downward force such as striking somthing in the vise is directed down the leg and to the floor. They also open and close rapidly compared to a machinist vice.Your not supposed to beat on a machinist vice as it will destroy the lead screw among other things. Also a vintage post vise is completely forged so each individual jaw section is one solid piece of steel.

A post vice /leg vise was and is a standard in a forge,the vise is designed so that any downward force such as striking somthing in the vise is directed down the leg and to the floor. They also open and close rapidly compared to a machinist vice.Your not supposed to beat on a machinist vice as it will destroy the lead screw among other things. Also a vintage post vise is completely forged so each individual jaw section is one solid piece of steel.

That makes perfect sense. I didn't know they also opened/closed a lot faster. Not having much forge experience, this is a real head slapper. I was trying to use my normal bench vise and the part was cooling faster than I could clamp it up.

I've never done this myself so take it for what its worth. I was talking to an old school Blacksmith that rehabs these quite often (he teaches classes) he told me he uses replacement Tines from a York rake to replace missing springs to save forge time. Just a thought for future projects.

Great job! I love restoring old work horses. Just one thing - find an old bolt or paint that new one black. ;)

I've never done this myself so take it for what its worth. I was talking to an old school Blacksmith that rehabs these quite often (he teaches classes) he told me he uses replacement Tines from a York rake to replace missing springs to save forge time. Just a thought for future projects.
I think it took me about 15 minutes total to make the spring and the ffg orge was already hot,the spring dosent need to be spring steel but the way.

That makes perfect sense. I didn't know they also opened/closed a lot faster. Not having much forge experience, this is a real head slapper. I was trying to use my normal bench vise and the part was cooling faster than I could clamp it up.
They will also take the heat transferred to them better than a cheap vise. If you start doing any general blacksmith stuff you will beat on the vise a lot.
That is a great job wild man. I have a second post vise I need to get around to restoring. I saw a complete one the other day for $50 in a junk shop. It’s rusty and missing the spring but I am thinking about a third one.

I'd like to do that sometime in town - just shop craigs and secondhand. Usually don't have the time, though. Nice clean up.

I did the same thing. I did end up breaking mine.
I dont usually have time to browse second hand shops /junk shops/antique shops but on the day I found the vice I had dropped my daughter of in town for her violin lesson and had to wait around to pick her up so I went in this place to kill some time and got lucky.

Back