Price of Real Wrought Iron

Meridian Blades

Moderator - Knife Maker
I have a source for Real Wrought Iron. Comes in rod and flat bar stock. I dont have a forge yet, so I asked for a quote on flat bar stock and here is what the response was....

we have some 1/4" x 2" at $6.50 per linear foot ($4/lb).
we also have some 1/4" x 3" at $9.50/LF ($4/lb).

Is this a good price? Thanks for your input guys. -Larry

Here was the price for wrought in rod form.....

Special offer for blacksmiths, blade smiths and hobbyists: 10 feet of 5/8" rod delivered to your door for $59

I think I recognize that quote. If so, I have some of both the rod and the flat bar. It seems to be good but I haven't used any on a knife yet.

Hey Dan,
Its a craigslist posting, but I didnt wanna post it if its an unreasonable price.

Here is the original posting ............ Larry

This is the real thing: wrought iron from the 1880s, rods up to 7 feet long, in diameters ranging from 5/8" to 1-1/4". Special offer for blacksmiths, blade smiths and hobbyists: 10 feet of 5/8" rod delivered to your door for $59. Email me for availability of other sizes and shapes - and happy hammering! judy@wisconsinwoodchuck.net

Yep, thought it was Wisconsin Woodchuck. The company was created to dismantle and recycle a HUGE grain elevator from the 1880's. The pictures on their website are well worth looking at. The wrought iron is mainly a side effect. Something like 500000 lbs of side effect...

Several makers did try their stuff out when the news first appeared a couple of years ago. I think that Nick Wheeler was one of them.

If the size and quantity limit works for you, it is a fair deal. Your cost per knife would be very small. If you were building a fence of it the cost per pound would be a greater concern.
~Alden

Thanks Alden,
Yeah it seems pretty reasonable and if its decent material, then buying a few feet of it at that price looks like a deal.

-Larry

well like I said I dont have a forge yet so the flat stock is best for me. Thanks for the link I will check it out tho.....sounds cool. Larry

Back