Project Reload using the USA Knifemakers Bushcraft Kit

h0tr0d

I am starting with the basic 9" bushcraft kit from USA Knifemakers, found here: http://usaknifemaker.com/bushcraft-9-carbon-steel-knife-kit-level-1-build-along-kit.html

For a little background, I have done some forging and made a crooked kitchen knife before and also a real thick 5160 blade that was a tank but useless at everything but beating skulls in. I've had help on both from Dan Unger (Danbo for all you USN brothers/sisters). This time, i'll be doing everything myself, including the heat treat (which i should probably farm out to Dan since he does have a nice oven).

My tools:
1x42 grizzly belt grinder
a skil drill press
assorted files (i'll post as i use)
assorted drill bits (i'll post as i use)
center punches
sharpies
dykem
plenty of paper and bandaids
Prayers to keep me from cursing while doing this :)

I'll post pics of the kit in the morning and I'm working on my outline tonight at work :)

My goals are:

Make myself a user bushcraft knife that I can call my own.
Learn patience instead of expedience
The joy of doing it versus the anger I used to express while forging
Better understanding and skillset while grinding steel
Attempting to HT in my personal forge (we'll see...)
Make a mark to put on the tang (I have one found that I like, it's a "Tree of Life" steel stamp but we'll see.)

Regardless, there will be more to come and I'm following Dabney's post as close as possible as to the stepping stone structure.

Regards,
Christopher

Good luck, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Knife making will change your mindset in a good way. The more and slower you do the better and faster you will become! Just Keep'em coming.

took me some searching to figure out what Arbor Vitae meant Mr. Svinarich, but I definitely dig the Latin name for Tree of Life :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

template measures almost exactly 9 inches total length. I laid out my pins by measuring total distance from front and back pin, dividing by two and locating my middle pin. I also then measured the width of the handle at each pin location and centered the pins that way as well. Hopefully all goes well :) should start center punching tomorrow...

Looks good, I had a guy tell me about putting the center pin In a straight line between your two end pins like you are doing, but stick it in the fattest part of the handle, instead of exactly in between the two ends pins.

Something to think about, seems to make it more pleasing to the eye. Look forward to watching it come together.

thanks redmech for the tip, once i grind it to shape, i'll really study my center pin placement.

That looks like a pretty nice kit there to start with. looks like a comfy design cant wait to see how it comes along .
just have fun.

Back