Quench tank

Casey Brown

Thinking of getting a military surplus ammo can to start out as a quench tank. Is a 7 1/2 gallon can large enough for 5 gallons of Parks #50, or should I go for a larger can? The next largest can is about 9 1/2 gallon capacity.

Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated if there are better options.

You do not need that much capacity for most knives. I am currently using a 1 gallon crock pot that is about 12 inches long by 5-6 inches deep. It is easier to heat/maintain to the desired temperature than a really big container. Unless you are heat treating a long sword, or are quenching 100 knives at one time, you do not need to use 5 gallons of quenchant.

I have seen many makers using a 4-6 inch round tube about 14-20 inches long for their quench tank. Plenty big for most knives. Heat on a hot plate. Pretty simple.

So, I wanted to ask those of you doing the smaller tank, are you quenching with the blade vertical or horizontal?

Personally, I quench everything horizontal, but when I built my quench tank, I built it with horizontal quenching in mind. If you only quench one blade at a time, you can get away with a couple of gallons. The tank I built holds a tad under 4 gallons, is 36" long X 5" wide. I built mine from a piece of 5"x5" square tube with .1875" wall thickness. I like a horizontal tank because it gives me the options of either an edge quench using my "limiter plate" or a full quench.

If you're using Parks 50, DON'T preheat it.....unless you quench tank is outside.....then only to about 60-70F. Parks 50 is FAST, and if you pre-heat to the typically suggested 120-130F, you end up with cracks, especially on thinner edge blades.

I did order a 5 gallon pail of Parks 50, so it is on the way. Just trying to figure out how I'm going to do the quench. Thanks for all of the feedback.

I'm going to be using my forge for the ht to start out, because I do not as of yet have a ht oven. I'll only be doing one knife at a time for the time being.

Ed, I'm intrigued by your "limiter plate" comment. I've read that you have to be careful edge quenching with oil because of fire hazard. Does your limiter plate only expose the edge of the blade to the oil, while the rest of the blade is "insulated" from the oil?

The "limiter plate" is nothing more than a 1/4" thick piece of aluminum plate, choked full of 3/8" holes, with 1/4-20 threaded holes on each corner. Each hold has 1/4-20 carriage bolts threaded in, with the heads facing down so I can adjust the depth of the plate in the oil.....and therefore adjust the depth of an edge quench. Fire can be an issue, but time and experience has taught me how to do it without getting any flame ups.

I use to use a turkey fryer pot on a hot plate,I still have it and don't use it as much as I do my roaster oven ,I think the oven holds about 3 gallons maybe 4 .Works for me and should it flare up on me I just put the lid on.I used to use a large amo can till I tipped it over one day trying to get the lid closed,I thought man had that been on fire I would have been in big trouble.That's when I went to the turkey fryer,I would heat it up on the hot plate then set it down on the floor before use,a straight razors making friend showed me his roaster oven and I was able to pick one up for about 20 bucks at a local grocery store sale and it's a very convenient set up.

I use to use a turkey fryer pot on a hot plate,I still have it and don't use it as much as I do my roaster oven ,I think the oven holds about 3 gallons maybe 4 .Works for me and should it flare up on me I just put the lid on.I used to use a large amo can till I tipped it over one day trying to get the lid closed,I thought man had that been on fire I would have been in big trouble.That's when I went to the turkey fryer,I would heat it up on the hot plate then set it down on the floor before use,a straight razors making friend showed me his roaster oven and I was able to pick one up for about 20 bucks at a local grocery store sale and it's a very convenient set up.
AKWildman..that's a very good point about the ammo can lid. I think I'm going to unhinge it and make a top that lifts on and off.

Did it tip over because the base being narrow?
Just curious as I have an ammo can I was going to start using. If the base is too narrow do you think welding up some angle iron into a frame the can sits in would solve the problem? I suppose you could even extend some "legs" out a bit also.

I'm sure that was a contributing factor.It was kinda the straw that broke the camel's back for me.Heating the oil was a pain,that's when I went to the turkey fryer pan,then to the self contained roaster oven,it's clean and convenient ,just turn it on and let it heat up to your desired temp if your using a oil that needs to be heated.

Did it tip over because the base being narrow?
Just curious as I have an ammo can I was going to start using. If the base is too narrow do you think welding up some angle iron into a frame the can sits in would solve the problem? I suppose you could even extend some "legs" out a bit also.
The angle iron will work. That's what I did to mine.

I've only done smaller knives. I went to my local hardware store got a 1 gallon paint can, put a hole in the rim for a thermometer. I use Canola oil put it right on my stove so I can pre-heat to 130-140. After I'm done I put the lid back on till next time.

I've only done smaller knives. I went to my local hardware store got a 1 gallon paint can, put a hole in the rim for a thermometer. I use Canola oil put it right on my stove so I can pre-heat to 130-140. After I'm done I put the lid back on till next time.

When not in use you might want to plug your thermometer hole as well!

From this link. https://www.doesitgobad.com/does-canola-oil-go-bad/

When storing canola oil, make sure it’s safe from three factors: air, heat and light. When it comes to the first one of them, just keep the bottle tightly sealed when not in use, that’s all. The second one I’ve already covered. When it comes to light, just put the oil in a cupboard, it’ll be safe from direct sunlight there.

When not in use you might want to plug your thermometer hole as well!

From this link. https://www.doesitgobad.com/does-canola-oil-go-bad/

When storing canola oil, make sure it’s safe from three factors: air, heat and light. When it comes to the first one of them, just keep the bottle tightly sealed when not in use, that’s all. The second one I’ve already covered. When it comes to light, just put the oil in a cupboard, it’ll be safe from direct sunlight there.

The hole is in the bottom of the rim so when I put the cover on it seals it up.

Back