Question on 1hp motor

Keith Willis

My grinder has a 1hp motor that is wired for 110.My shop is not wired for 220,but I can do so very cheap,I have everything I need to wire it,and I will do so as soon as I am able.

My question is,until I am able to purchase a larger motor,If I run the wire for 220 and hook my 1 hp motor to 220,will there be enough difference in torque,that will make it worth the effort.

I will have a 1 1/2 hp or bigger, as soon as I save a little money.

Thanks,

God bless,Keith

Your 1HP motor will run with the same torque at 110VAC or 220VAC. The only difference will be that it will draw half the current per leg. The total wattage will be the same, as will the power.
However, running 220VAC is a good idea. It will allow you to hook up a 1.5 or 2HP motor, run a 220V VFD, or operate a HT oven. I would do it as soon as you can.
Stacy

Wow! that was quick.Thanks Stacy,that answers my question,and I will have that wire run,within the next week or so.

God bless,Keith

Stacy was correct. The 1.5 hp motors that I use for workshops draw 11 amps on 110 and 6 amps on 220. So it is not quite half. That means that it is using about half as much power or costs about half as much to run.....But.....that is not much savings for one machine.....now.... if you are running a big shop with 15 machines running 8 hours a day that may be a big savings. Stacy also has a point that there are machines that have to run on 220 so a well equiped shop probably needs 220.
I wired my personal grinder for 220 at first, just because I had it right there, then when I started doing workshops converted it to 110 because I needed to take the grinder to meetings to demo it. I then needed 110 because many places I went did not have 220 available and plug compatability was a problem.

Josh, that's the exact motor I'm running on my KMG. It's been good so far. You just have to "gear it down" with the driven sheaves to reduce the rpm if desired. I also picked up a 3/4 hp 3 phase ~1750rpm motor from the same page fo my disc grinder.

--nathan

Nathan,

Yup, I've got a 3hp on my kmg and a 1 1/2hp for my disk.
Although I should'nt spend any $$$ right now I almost pulled the trigger last night on 2 3/4hp motors for a 2nd disc (flat) and a horizontal.

I may still order them. Its hard to argue with $140 for 2 brand new motors :)

Hopefully then I'd be done buying motors for a dozen years or so :)~

-Josh

Stacy was correct. The 1.5 hp motors that I use for workshops draw 11 amps on 110 and 6 amps on 220. So it is not quite half. That means that it is using about half as much power or costs about half as much to run.....But.....that is not much savings for one machine.....now.... if you are running a big shop with 15 machines running 8 hours a day that may be a big savings.

Hey Wayne,

Please don't take this as a cut down, but a dual voltage motor uses the same amount of power on a 120VAC circuit or a 240VAC circuit :)
The power calculation formula used is E x I = P, where E = voltage, I = Amperage, and P = Power as Watts. Using this formula 11 x 110 = 1210 Watts, and 6 x 220 = 1320 Watts. Power companies bill electricity by the thousands of Watts (KW) used. So the cost for 220 volt from your example would actually be a little more. In actual use the power bill will be basically the same. ;)

Some advantages of using 240VAC comes in the lower cost of smaller size wire needed to be run for the same motor size, and being able to more work with the same Amperage load draw.:D

Mike

Hey Wayne,

Please don't take this as a cut down, but a dual voltage motor uses the same amount of power on a 120VAC circuit or a 240VAC circuit :)
The power calculation formula used is E x I = P, where E = voltage, I = Amperage, and P = Power as Watts. Using this formula 11 x 110 = 1210 Watts, and 6 x 220 = 1320 Watts. Power companies bill electricity by the thousands of Watts (KW) used. So the cost for 220 volt from your example would actually be a little more. In actual use the power bill will be basically the same. ;)

Some advantages of using 240VAC comes in the lower cost of smaller size wire needed to be run for the same motor size, and being able to more work with the same Amperage load draw.:D

Mike

You guys sound more like electricians than knife makers, LOL, but the above post is right on. It does not matter what voltage you run it will cost the same, and the difference in current that was measured was probably due to some unknown variable, not the voltage. When you start using motors larger than 1.5 HP you will start to draw more than 15 amps which is the limit for a standard outlet. 20 amps is the the usual limit for 110 and even then the outlet needs to rated for it and the wiring to it will need to be sized properly, it will also use a different plug. Point is there is no need to go to 220 until you get a motor larger than 1.5 HP in my opinion. By the way I am an electrician:D

Thanks for the link Josh,and yes that is cheap.

I am not real smart with this sort of thing,so,What all would I need to be able to run a 3phase motor?

Thanks,God bless,Keith

Hk

You need a 220v power source.

And a motor control - the motor controller converts the single phase electricity to 3 phase and allows variable speed and reversing (handier to have than you would think)

I chose my motor control based on price and the fact that other had the same one and there were detailed WIP's explaining how to wire it up.

I didn't get a NEMA4 enclosure but instead built my own like many others have done. I've got 2 filters- $20 and plexiglas cover $9 into my enclosure.

I originally hard wired my whole set-up. I would highly recommend wiring a 4 prong dryer outlet after the VFD (motor controller, Variable Frequency Drive) and using a dryer plug wired to the motor. This allows you to run multiple motor from the same VFD just by un-plugging one and plugging the other in.

Right now I run my KMG and a Beveled disk with it but I'm gonna add a horizontal profile grinder and probably a flat disc also. It costs a little more up front but as you add other equipment to your shop the savings pile up quick ! My disk is VSR 1 1/2 hp. Motor from grizzly $84 on sale, disk from BossDog $75 Dryer plug $15.

1 1/2 hp VSR disk = $ 174 1 hp from beaumont = $825

http://www.factorymation.com/s.nl/it.A/id.196/.f This is the same motor control I got from factorymation that would be approprate for 2 hp. (mine's a 3 hp)

$145- When I bought mine I had just under $300 in motor, VFD, and shipping.

stagwipshop007.jpg

stagwipshop003.jpg

Hope this helps you to make an informed decision, Josh

The confusion on the current draw is that many manufacturers use whole numbers to put the amp rating on the plate. Thus a motor that draws 11.4 amps at 110VAC and 5.7 at 220VAC will be labeled 11/6 amps. As said the actual wattage is identical.

The other thing is that escapes attention is that some ratings are for 120/220. The motor in this case is 11/6 amps which is exactly right for 120/220 volts.

Stacy

Back