Question on my Forge

Keith Willis

I just built a new Forge. My question is what size pipe should I use on the forge itself to mount the burner into if I have a 1 inch pipe on my burner. Thanks in advance for the help

God bless,
Keith

Ideally, a 1 to 1 1/8" ID, heavy wall pipe. I like heavy wall because it's wall thickness allows me to drill/tap 3 holes equally around the OD (I used 5/16"-18 for my smaller forge, and 1/2"-13 threads/bolts on my welding forge)

A little "wiggle room" is nice to have (a 1 1/8" ID pipe) because over time the burner end will become a bit larger to to all the heating/cooling cycles. But you don't want to go too large, otherwise you'll have flames licking out the pipe that holds the burner....and if it's too much, the flame will get pre-ignited inside the burner pipe. There's also nothing wrong with stuffing small pieces of ceramic fiber into any cracks between the burner and the burner holder.

Thanks for the reply Ed, man was I told wrong I was told it had to be a good bit bigger than the pipe going in looks like I'm going to be sticking some ceramic fibers around mine I hope that does the trick thanks again

God bless,
Keith

Early in my career, I was told the same thing, and I did it. That's how I found out about the "pre-ignition" inside the burner pipe. :) I've come to understand that there are far more "arm chair" experts out there, then there are folks who actually have experience, and know what they are talking about. :) I would like to think that whomever told you that had a practical reason for it, but darned if I can see what it would be.

"I've come to understand that there are far more "arm chair" experts out there, then there are folks who actually have experience, and know what they are talking about."

Boy...is that ever true. In EVERY walk of life. I can't tell you how many you-tube videos I start where the "expert" prattles on confidently only to find that the video is the fellow's first attempt at what he trying to teach....oughta be a law against that....I have a family member that had (deceased now) almost a photographic memory...he could gobble down a few books on whatever he was interested in and then converse as if he had been doing his current fad interest his whole life...but the physical execution of the hobby du jour was another thing.

Real knowledge requires experience. period....since we exist in an almost virtual reality these days it has become acceptable to share inexperienced opinions as if they carry the weight of a skilled craftsman with many years experience. When I read Ed's forge wip I realized that there are many intricacies involved that you probably won't find in a book and certainly not learn from an armchair quarterback....

As a 37 year career tool maker I have tried on forums to correct methods that were being floated as the "right way" to do such and such...often by guys with 3-5 years in the trade. the amazing thing is that often the five year guy makes more sense to the newb because the info is closer to their experience level. About 5 or so years ago I gave up....just got worn down by having to joust with folks that had little experience in areas I was expert in.

coffee's kickin' in...enjoy the rant....lol!

My comments were not meant to inflame anyone. I understand that we all have to start at the beginning. In this case there was something about the answer that made Keith ask the question in an open forum (Kudos to ya Keith).

Over the years it's just become easier for me to spot comments/information that obviously came from reading/listening versus doing. Speaking only for myself, anytime I attempt to correct misinformation, I do it out of a sincere desire to be helpful, but it's often received as an affront. I personally believe it's OK to say "I don't know", but more and more it seems folks will say/do anything in order not to use the words "I don't know". Anytime I venture into "uncharted territory" I do my best to seek out the advice of those who know more about the subject then me..... to me that just makes sense. Nobody will every know it all, which makes forums such as this one a great resource.

I think the situations that annoys me the most is when I am asked a direct question, and when I offer an answer, the individual wants to argue with me. That's when I just shut up and let it go. To do otherwise is like trying to teach a pig to fetch...... it wastes my time, and annoys the pig. :)

Last edited:
thanks for the advice guys and to be honest with you all I am almost sure it is something that I seen on YouTube well I guess that's what you get for trying to watch someone who doesn't know any more than I do this will be my first Forge I just hope it works out I tried to fire it up, and the first thing it did was to start blowing flames out of the gap....... not good
Thanks guys

God bless

Back