Question - Quenching Oil

opaul

KNIFE MAKER
I use CANOLA oil for my 1084 quenching. Anyone have any suggestions on how often it should be changed out?

I'm assuming you heat the oil for quenching? I'd think once the oil goes rancid and smells to bad would be the time to change out. I'll let other folks who really know something comment.

I can't say about the changing but, I was heating the oil like you with a scrap piece of steel. I was at the Goodwill and picked up a Hot-plate went to my local hardware store and got a 1 gallon metal paint can, I drilled a hole in the recessed rim area to slide a small instant read thermometer thru. So now I put the paint can on the hot plate with the instant read thermometer in the hole bring it up to 135-140 (I stir the oil to make sure temp is uniform) do my quench and when the oil cools I put the lid of the can back on to keep it clean. Works good for me.

That's genius. Does the crockpot get warm enough or do you still have to drop a piece of scrap in?
Crock takes it to 120 I took the bolt from the lid handle and inserted an hvac vent temp gauge in the hole works perfect for me. I only do a couple blades at a time. If I were cranking them out I would build a large tank with pump element and all the bells and whistles.

Back