Questions about waterjet cutting

Sampson knifeworks

Just wondering what to expect when I get some blades water jet cut ? When I send my drawings to be converted to a Cad program, how accurate should I expect the final blank to be? Can I use my original handle templates? Would it be wise to own the Cad program before shopping around for a cutting service? When I send my drawings to be converted, is a PDF file good enough? How square should the edges be? Are there different nozzles they use for better accuracy? If there are any questions I have missed, please feel free to give us all information about this topic and hopefully we can avoid some costly pitfalls.
Sincerely,
Clint Sampson

I would question letting someone else convert the drawing.
They may make compromises you would not.
Look for some free CAD software, and draw it up !

The edges will taper, though how much depends on the cut quality setting at the machine.
Pay more $$$ and get a better cut.

Davis Curtiss is accurate enough that I have him spot 2 holes at about .010" undersize, and when I ream them, they drop right on to tooling more than 9 out of 10 times.

If you are going to send someone a paper drawing, or scan, I suggest using the thinnest pencil possible, to minimize line width.
At least here, on my software, lies show up doubled when the pencil is large.
I don't know what pros use to convert paper drawings...

Clint, it's pretty simple. I can take your templates and do the CAD drawings from them. I don't charge for that. Most do. A jpeg image or PDF is also fine. If you have any questions, call me anytime.

Sometimes I forget just how much you are THE MAN Dave.

Stupid me, spending all those hours making digital files when you will do it for free !

I highly recommend Dave and his GLWJ Service. On our military build I sketched the deign in pencil and then traced it with an ultra fine tip drafting pen and then scanned and e-mailed it to Dave. The blanks were identical to my original design.

Back