Questions on cutting metal by hand

remist17

I have some projects that require me to cut square stock. Material is 1/2"x1/2" or 3/4"x3/4". I have been using a hack saw but no matter how hard I try I can not make a clean straight cut. I do not have a band saw, due to lack of funding. Can anyone suggest how to make straight cuts using a hacksaw. I am using a new stanley version with new metal blades. The stock is placed into the vise and secured. I cut right handed and the cut always go down and to the left. I get most of the way down the cut and then find I am starting to wonder off the mark.
Thanks sorry for the dumb question.

Got to learn how to aim that hack saw. Hawk saws are one of the main reasons for the purchase of power saws. Save your money, Harbor Freight sells there portable band saw on sale for around $70.00 but it maybe more now. Its not the best but if its used sparingly it will last longer.

If you need a square cut use a file to true it up.

Not really a dumb question, it's just very hard to get an accurate cut with a hacksaw. Make sure you have the blade tensioned well, might help some. Have you got an angle grinder? You can get a pretty square cut with a thin cutoff disc, and it's a lot easier on the elbows.

Last edited:
Yea Im making crosses for Christmas and to make them right I need to make two longer cuts in the square stock. The first half goes fine, then the last goes all out of wack. I have looked at the portable hacksaws. They are 110 right now and 20% off sticker takes it to 88 plus tax. Right now I do not have the money so I am saving up to buy a saw. I was hoping for some tricks on using the manual hack saw. I have a grinder with cut off wheels. I am going to try it next one I use.

I want to make sure I understand what your trying for. Are you trying to cut out and save the square part or is that square the waist maturial? If your trying to save the square part, why not start with square rod and just slab off the part you need? What material are you cutting and are you using a quality blade? Hacksaw blades are one place you get what you pay for. If your cut is starting out straight and then wandering, you may have also taken some of the tooth set out of one side of the blade.

Erik

I vote for a zip disk and angle grinder. Hacksaws are my last resort especially when cutting 1/2" or thicker material

I assume you know that leaning the hacksaw side to side and moving the handle side to side will steer a hacksaw. A man that knows what they are doing can do very well and cut very accurate. Ed

I am cutting a 5" section off the 1/2" square stock. Then Cutting two partial slits in the stock. I then heat up the metal and peel the slits apart to make crosses. I have made 3 successfully and several were junk since the cuts were off. Here is a example of one I made.
IMG_20150912_163107833.jpg
I use a stanley hacksaw with lenox 18 tooth blades. I know its not top grade, but was available at the hardware store. Is there a better blade to use? I will need to practice more from what I am hearing. Seems doable.

I can see how frustrating it could be to get square cuts on thick steel with a hacksaw. The lenox blades aren't bad at all....but the hacksaw should be a "high tension" hacksaw. Regular hacksaws are just .... meh. The high tension helps for a straighter cut to some degree. If you have to use a hacksaw, make sure it's a high tension jobber. Also you might consider making, or using, some sort of mitre box to help control the cuts!

I'm gonna go with the people suggesting using a cutiff wheel on a grinder.
If nothing else, use the grinder to square up your ends once cut, just leave yourself a little extra to do it with if you need to.
I know for me, I've never been very good at getting a nice straight cut with a hacksaw, but I do fairly well with most other things...

I am looking into a high tension hacksaw. To be honest never knew this was available. I always used a regular hacksaw.... I am behind the times I guess. Thank you all it has been very helpful.
Just to clarify I use the hacksaw to cut the square stock with the lines then stick the stock in the forge. I then bend and work the metal to make the cross. I do not hacksaw the flat metal to make the cross...

Thanks again to all!
:35:

What he is doing is splitting the piece from one end and then turning it around and splitting it from the other end. A chop saw won't work at all.

Remist17 Try to just cut some scrap and look at the effects of twisting, leaning moving the handle to the side, as you cut. What you are doing is a hard job but very doable. Practice on some scrap and I believe it will help. Ed

Ed: Your correct. Not sure why I just did not write that. The brain is slow. Thanks again. I am working on it this weekend.

As an aside, when you finally do get a bandsaw, you may find it is still not easy to get a truly straight cut. Everything that applies to the hacksaw still applies - only faster.

You may wanna check into having them cut by a waterjet. It probably wont be as much as you think. I'm thinking $3-$5 per piece and they will be able to get many more out of the same piece of steel. Just a thought.

Back