Re-creation from the Wallace Collection- 16th century dagger

Justin King

IMG_1946 (2).jpgimg_1940 (2).jpgIMG_1952.jpgIMG_1959 (2).jpgIMG_1954.jpg
This is based on an original in the Wallace Collection, which is one of the most beautiful weapons I have ever seen. It is pictured in "Arms and Armor of the Medieval Knight" by David Edge and John Miles Paddock, on p. 150. This is the only extant photograph I can find of it, and being a copyrighted image it would be dubious for me to post a scan of it here. I have searched online and have found no other photos, I would very much appreciate any leads to other images of it that anyone can offer.

A catalog of arms in the collection by Guy Francis Laking lists it as:
"127. Dagger. The pommel is of fleur-de-lys shape; small drooping quillons ending in spirally fluted knobs. Dec.: none. Horn grip of hexagonal section narrowing to fit the base of the pommel. The blade, 12-1/2 ins. long, of diamond section, back edged and grooved 2-7/8 ins. from the hilt. Probably German, about 1530 (1109)"

The original is heavily sculpted and wonderfully complex in form, but is conspicously devoid of any gilding, engraving, or other decoration, which fascinates me. It is clearly a weapon, with little or no utilitarian value. The combination of breathtaking beauty and deadly, single-minded purpose gives it an eerie quality that has become an obsession for me.

My re-creation is based on the single photo and the description above. This is my second attempt, this one features every detail of the original that is visible in the photo, or mentioned in the catalog entry. Due to the single photo I had to extrapolate/guess at a couple of transition areas, but this is as close to the original as I am able to make it.

Blade is 5160, pommel and guard are forged/filed from mild steel and the grip is horn, bound with a steel ferrule at either end. No castings are present, every piece is forged and/or fabricated by hand. 12-3/4" blade, 17-3/4" overall. The blade is approx. 1/4" thick at the base and is nearly zero-ground due to the rapier-like edge geometry. Assembly is peened.

Justin, that is amazing! Your grinds, sculpting and fit and finish are truly 1st class. If I were you I would be hard-pressed to ever let that one get away from me. That definitely qualifies as a family heirloom piece to be handed down for generations to come.

Thank you, Denny! This one has been in the works for 2 years plus. The first blade re-curved during the quench (last blade I HT'd in my forge BTW, guess why!), so I re-made it, and re-made the grip also because of a check that was exposed in shaping the thin portion of the grip. There was no lack of mistakes on this one but 2+ years gives lots of time for corrections...nothing short of obsession would have seen me through this one.
Not sure I can let it go but equally not sure I can afford to keep it.

Really something to be proud of there, in all kinds of ways. Fit, finish, historical accuracy....everything.

Really nice work. Thanks for posting.

Thanks again, guys! Historical daggers are a large part of my knifemaking background, although I took a deliberate turn towards more modern style knives a couple of years ago. There are a couple more original daggers that I have my eye on to re-create as time permits.
A fellow on another forum gave me a catalog number to find a picture of the original on the Wallace Collection website, if anyone is interested in seeing the original piece this is based on, go here- http://www.wallacecollection.org/ and search the collection (you have to click the button to search either the collection or the website) for "dagger A811". Funny that the original grip is so light in color, it looks almost black in the photo I used for reference.

Beautiful knife and one heck of a grind. How much time do you have in the guard?

Thank you! I don't really want to recall how much time is in the guard, it was mostly forged to shape but that was a couple of yeas ago. The fluting is more recent and took a few hours all by itself.

Awesome knife!!!
That must have been a real test to keep straight during heat treating. You should put this in the knife of the year thread. I will nominate it!

Back