Re-Handling a folder

Nice job on the fixer-upper. It turned out beautifully.

I do feel it my civic duty to warn you, though, that you are starting down a long and dark path. Once you start making folders, there's no turning back LOL! Good luck to ya.

Funny- that’s what I say when you post pics of your folders.

Thank you so much for the compliment.

If I can make a suggestion for designing folders. Download Draftsight. It's a 2D CAD program and is free.

There's a bit of a learning curve at first but it's not that difficult.

Then you can design "virtually". It makes it so easy to move your pivot, stop pin or lock face around and get them to work together.

You can also open and close the knife "virtually" so you can see how everything is going to work. Be prepared to make a lot of adjustments but it's easier that trying to do it with cardboard or plexiglass etc.

That way you'll have a working design before you even start cutting out the pieces.

Mike from Ekim knives has an excellent tutorial on YouTube that'll show you everything you need to at least get started.

You can always PM me too. Not sure how much I can help but I'll try.

Thank you so much for the compliment.

If I can make a suggestion for designing folders. Download Draftsight. It's a 2D CAD program and is free.

There's a bit of a learning curve at first but it's not that difficult.

Then you can design "virtually". It makes it so easy to move your pivot, stop pin or lock face around and get them to work together.

You can also open and close the knife "virtually" so you can see how everything is going to work. Be prepared to make a lot of adjustments but it's easier that trying to do it with cardboard or plexiglass etc.

That way you'll have a working design before you even start cutting out the pieces.

Mike from Ekim knives has an excellent tutorial on YouTube that'll show you everything you need to at least get started.

You can always PM me too. Not sure how much I can help but I'll try.

Thank you very much for the advice on Draftsight. I'll go watch that video right now, in fact.

Nice job on the fixer-upper. It turned out beautifully.

I do feel it my civic duty to warn you, though, that you are starting down a long and dark path. Once you start making folders, there's no turning back LOL! Good luck to ya.

When I fell into this deep, dark rabbit hole of knife making, my ultimate goal was kitchen knives and folders. Those are the knives that I truly love and wished I could make for myself. I keep thinking back to my first fixed blades which were two steps down from a prison shank, and I honestly struggled mightily to get them to that point.

Back