Rebuilt my Disc Grinder today

Dwane Oliver

I have come to realize that saying from Karl Andersen " a good hand sanding job is not the product of good hand sanding, a good hand sanding job is the product of good grinding "
SO
I redid my 12" disc sander so it has a work rest....thats about all I got done today.
I'm going to buy one of Beaumont's 9" disc's next week also.

OLD SETUP
DSC02530.jpg

DSC02532.jpg

NEW SETUP

Grinder.jpg

Grinder1.jpg

The rest adjusts up and down and in and out from the disc. Seem to work pretty good.

Dwane

Last edited:
LOL , thats just the tool holder , holding my 10" wheel on a tool arm.
Look at the first pic , against the wall , you can see the various tool arms in the holders.

Looks good, Dwane.
Bet your motor belt is thanking you for making the conversion from horizontal to vertical disc.:happy:

A bit off topic but where do you find 12" abrasive discs ? I have a 12" disc that I bought from Grizzly for $30-$40 , at some point I plan on making a disc sander . Besides finishing sanding blades what are other uses of a disc sander?

I use my disc grinder for flattening some bevels, squaring ends of stock and rod, chamfering, tapering slabs and a lot more.

A bit off topic but where do you find 12" abrasive discs ? I have a 12" disc that I bought from Grizzly for $30-$40 , at some point I plan on making a disc sander . Besides finishing sanding blades what are other uses of a disc sander?

They're good for getting things flat. :D

I have mine running now (9"er) but want to get a work rest made so I can make angled joints on handle slabs.

I haven't bought any online yet , my local tool crib has them in stock.

Have a look at Rod Neilsen disc grinder setup. I have 2 of his systems and they are great and save a lot of sandpaper.
Jim Clow

Back