Recent sheaths

Josh Dabney

It's been quite some time since I've posted anything here in the sheath section so here is some sheath work for your comments and/or critiques.

Let me know what you guys think !

SSbowie046.jpg

SSbowie047.jpg

regretdagger021.jpg

regretdagger020.jpg

regretdagger022.jpg

Martindagger037.jpg

Martindagger040.jpg

Belduque474.jpg

Belduque478.jpg

Belduque479.jpg

Julykith001.jpg

EDC003.jpg

bargainbowie030-1.jpg

bargainbowie031-1.jpg

SirCharles109.jpg

SirCharles105.jpg

SirCharles108.jpg

Let me know what you guys think fellas !
-Josh

They all look good, I like the built up welt , and the wrought iron belt clip.
On the 4th pic up from the bottom the way you inlet the bolster is cool.
The one with frog too.

Did you hand stitch them.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Mark, I've made 3 boot clips in similar fashion. They are made from 1095 and fully hardened then torch drawn to a blue 2 times for a spring temper from half way between the rivet and top to halfway down the "clip" part. I leave the bottom of the clip and the rivet area a bit harder to hopefully facilitate the clip tensioning at the bend instead of elsewhere.

I'v gotten VERY good feedback on the functioning from the owners of the first ones I made.

-Josh

I've never tempered anything to spring temp.
Thanks for the mini tutorial, I'm going to try it.
I just finished my first sheath, Oh and did you hand stitch?

Mark,

Handstiching- yes. Saddle stitch all the way.

If your you're gonna use that little info as a tutorial then it's worth mentioning that I do temper the entire clip. After hardening I sand it up enough to get it bright again so I can accurately see the colors then temper the straight areas to golden brownish and then spring temper the curved part. You could also temper the whole thing in the oven then draw the curve down to a spring temper after that. You definately need to temper the whole clip though to avoid the brittleness of un-tempered martinsite ESPECIALLY where the rivet hole is .

Rob,

These sheaths go back all the way to right after the hammer-in last Jan. LOL. I have been keeping plenty busy though. I've been claiming I was gonna build a forge for so long I was beginning to not even believe it myself, LOL. But the time has finally come and I've got the body done, burner and blower assembled and ready to begin wiring the PID and SSR control system.

I was about three cuss words from giving up on trying to weld things myself, admit defeat, and call ya to throw myself at your mercy. But I finally discovered I had too much draw on the circiut I had the welder on and swithing to another line fixed me right up.

I'll tell ya forges sure don't build themselves but I REALLY wanted to build my own And now I'm glad I persevered through a few obstacles.

Take care buddy, Josh

Back