Recurve grind

brandon0403

Just wanted to post a quick photo of my first attempt at grinding a blade with a serious recurve, I've done slight recurv's but this is my first attempt at what I would call a true recurve. Comments and criticism welcome.
20a49dfd80f143b74193bc8e8b738cc6.jpg

Well, I don't have the skills to really critique the grind, but I sure like the looks of the line. Looks good.

Ken H>

That is a recurve. The recurve can be done a multitude of ways as far as length of blade and desired effect when slashing in a weapon or cutting as a animal processing knife etc.

My suggestion is to focus on the intent of your knife, what you had in mind when you first saw it in your minds eye, before even putting it on paper and field test so see if it does what you are after? That's how my ideas for a knife happen anyway:wacko:. The fun part can be finding the other tasks that your pattern excels in.

I am working on one real similar. If mine comes out anything like yours I will be one happy camper. Great job.

Thanks for the positive feedback Steve, Ken, Mark.

Laurence,
I often just get an idea in my head and sketch it out on paper ( French curves are my friend) I'm not much of a hunter just have a love and fascination with sharp things. I even try not to look at makers knives before a sketch session so as to not copy something I've seen too directly. I've only sold one knife so far but I'm stocking up now for next seasons farmers markets, they are big up here in the pacific northwest

Mark,
I used a flat platen on my kmg, I also used a simple angle iron jig.

Also thanks for the compliments rmbonham, remember the edge of the belt is your friend. At least that helped me... Good luck, I look forward to seeing your first try

Thanks for the positive feedback Steve, Ken, Mark.

Laurence,
I often just get an idea in my head and sketch it out on paper ( French curves are my friend) I'm not much of a hunter just have a love and fascination with sharp things. I even try not to look at makers knives before a sketch session so as to not copy something I've seen too directly. I've only sold one knife so far but I'm stocking up now for next seasons farmers markets, they are big up here in the pacific northwest 

Mark,
I used a flat platen on my kmg, I also used a simple angle iron jig.

Mark,
I'm not a hunter period because I've never been hunger enough. I do love to eat game meats, so I have loaned my hunters to hunters and then pick their brain on when the knife works for them and where they see room for improvement.

I love to cook so I have no trouble testing mine in the kitchen in my untrained cook way.

Haha good point Ricky, the sides don't match 100% and I'll post a picture tomorrow. But both sides do look great independently. The top grinds match at least, just finished after ht today.

f5784ae5f76c3557e614954e7cd43fbc.jpg
Here are a couple of quick shots with my phone...
4d1c499a6dcab69f841fb864caa1e4b8.jpg
2cdc309372b143290c5a5164488a39b5.jpg
a79575782c7d337f93c01a53de7d3607.jpg

Not great but my first attempts at new things rarely are lol I'm liking copper pins the more I use them, any advice on how force a patina on copper pins?

I suppose I should provide some details...
Tip to ricasso: 3.5"
OAL: 8.25"
Width at widest point on blade: 1.375"
Handle width: Approx .75"
Blade: 1095
Handle: Rosewood

OK,
Now on that next one, get the two sides to match a little closer. Ether side is fine, if that's what you want, just work one to match the other.

Cool little knife.

very nice! good looking knife.
I would like to see a picture of your jig if it is not to much trouble.
It is hard for me to picture how it can grind around the recurve.
thanks,
doug
Jn. 3:16

Back