Removable scales & standoffs

RandyR

KNIFE MAKER
All,
I have a couple of questions for those of you that use standoffs and screws to hold on removable handle scales. I have always used pins or Corby bolts but I have a request to make the scales on a user removable and I am trying to work out the design and process.
First, do you somehow attach the standoffs permanently to the tang? It would seem that if not, it would turn as you attempted to tighten the screws and cause issues with controlling thread engagement. I was considering silver soldering them in.
Second, do you allow the standoff to stand proud of the tang and counterbore the scales to ensure repeatable alignment? I would think that the needed clearance in the holes for the screws plus repeated removal and wear would eventually cause some alignment problems.
I would really appreciate your help.
Thanks, Randy

When I use standoffs in in fixed blades, I leave them as long as I can and drill the scales to match and counter bore for the screw heads.

I also press fit them into the tang holes. once they are in like that, it would take an hammer and effort to get them out...

of course I use glue as well, just to seal out water. ;)

Les,
Thanks so much for your help. I did not think about pressing them in. It sounds like it would work well and avoid the need to do high temp soldering on a heat treated blade. Do you use a thousandth or so interference for the fit?
I really do like the idea of using them to align the scales. I could do most of the shaping and be comfortable they would still line up well. In fact, it gives me an idea for a damascus full tang blade I am making to let me not have to finish the scales to the metal after I etch. I have been struggling with that for awhile.
Randy

Maybe a little less than that, depending on the stand off material and how big your hammer is! :)

Jake,
I thought of that but I am a bit concerned about having enough thread engagement unless I intentionally offset thescrews from side to side. I would not like that look since I spend so much time working to get symmetry on every other aspect. On my .200 inch thick blade that would only be 3 or so threads per side with 8-32 screws.
Randy

Back