Removing handle scales

MT Knives

I used 5 min epoxy to attach the handles on a knife but now need to take the handle off, what is the best way other than grinding the handle or drilling the pins, is there something I can soak the handle in to release it with out doing much damage to the wood?

You can actually drive the pins out with a punch and hammer. Once the pins are out you can rest the knife on something strong and solid (anvil would be nice) so that the scale is on the surface and the rest of the knife is out in space...smack it with a hammer...couple of hits should do it. Repeat on opposite side.
5 min. epoxy bonds well, but is not failure proof when properly persuaded.
I don't know how I know this....I've never had to remove scales on one of my knives before....(sarcasm; it's what's for dinner)

You can actually drive the pins out with a punch and hammer. Once the pins are out you can rest the knife on something strong and solid (anvil would be nice) so that the scale is on the surface and the rest of the knife is out in space...smack it with a hammer...couple of hits should do it. Repeat on opposite side.
5 min. epoxy bonds well, but is not failure proof when properly persuaded.
I don't know how I know this....I've never had to remove scales on one of my knives before....(sarcasm; it's what's for dinner)

I have pressed out pins before but it damaged the mosaic pin, which wasn't a problem execpt it left the sleeve of the pin in the knife. Do you think driving the pins out would be better than pressing?

Peened pins : forget it.
If not peened : Grind a long tapered blunt point on a 6 penny nail, hold in vice grips and heat the nail with a torch.....push on pins with the nail. The heat transfer melts the epoxy and works pretty good.

Corbies: I wouldn't bother. Chances are you'll never get a dead center 3/32"- 1/8" hole through both pieces with rounded contours on the handle. If you're lucky enough to pull it off, the hot nail in the hole will loosen the epoxy so you can lift out both pieces.

If you have access to dry ice : Rest the tang on the ice for a minute, liners and all will pop right off tout suite. Erics' method will probably work faster if you pop the knife in the freezer for an hour or so. Chances are you drilled a million lightening holes in the tang so give it a chance to work. Once it's cold enough, tap the tang on a solid object.

Of course these are all long convoluted methods to save your wood. If the pins are all out, I've had pretty good luck sliding my (sharp) pocket knife in the end of the tang and working it like your opening a clam after some freezer action.

Good luck,

Rudy

Last edited:
Thanks Guys, I will give these a try! I noticed once I believe tung oil softened the epoxy so I had thought about leaving it in tung oil for a couple of days. Have you guys noticed tung oil or others affecting the epoxy? I peen some knives but fortunately didn't on this one. I tried to tell the guy that the liners he picked out where too thick but he didn't listen so now I am reworking the knife :D

Assuming the scales and pins will be destroyed, or at least the scales anyway.......you can put the whole handle into a pan of boiling water for about 5 minutes or so. The heat will loosen the epoxy bond and the scales and pins will come right off.

Back