Removing Tru-Oil finish from metal

levernut

On full tang knives, how do you remove the Tru-Oil from the finger guard/bolster and tang without removing the gloss finish of the Tru-Oil on the scales? My only solution is to use 0000 steel wool on the entire handle, apply some wax and then buff with pink scratchless compound. I get a semi-gloss but it's not the deep luster like the original Tru-Oil finish. I've tried taping off the wood and then use steel wool on the metal but I end up hitting some of the wood anyway. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I give it a good rub with alcohol and it seems to loosen it up a bit, but then I have to scrape it off with a chisil made from a rod of brass. Soft brass shouldn't scratch the harder steel and it is my main go to tool for cleaning epoxy and oil off a finished blade

Here is another way of dealing with oil finishes, try wiping on the oil and let it start to get tacky. Then briskly wipe off and hand buff with a soft cloth. Let it dry per instructions. You can do this several times for a "wet look" and great luster, no sanding or steel wool required. Or lightly hand buff with the gray 600 grit 3M polishing paper to achieve a nice satin finish! I have used this method for many years with the tru-oil or my favorite Formby's tung oil finish. It goes against there instructions but it works if you do not want the surface buildup that requires sanding. Buffing is a dirty word in my shop !! LOL.
Sincerely,
Clint Sampson

Back